TR: Avalanche, Colby, Kern Junction Mdw, Forester, Bubbs starting 12 Aug

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Avalanche, Colby, Kern Junction Mdw, Forester, Bubbs starting 12 Aug

Post by Matthew »

Hi looks easy from here
We met 3 trail crew in Big Wet Meadow (they are stationed just above it), working on raised paths to avoid wet areas.
We also met 6 or so trail crew between Tyndall Creek and Forester, they were working there too.
Apparently the brush at Kern Junction Meadow grows very fast, they did a huge clearing last year, but they plan be back there clearing again later this year.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by looks easy from here »

Ah, that explains it. My cousin, despite being at least twice the outdoorsman I am and generally having no problem running around barefoot, has a strangely strong aversion to taking his shoes off to ford rivers. So when we got to the crossing just south of Big Wet Meadow we spent about ten times the energy looking for a tree bridge, didn't find one and had to ford anyways, completely lost the trail, and got stuck full-on brush swimming long sections until we finally regained it just below the switchbacks starting to lead up to Colby Lake. Not that we didn't have a ball adventuring, but it definitely wasn't the most efficient route.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Really well done. Your description of getting over Colby was excellent.
ts
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Your trip went through country where I spent a lot of time in the late 20th and early 21st centuries and your photos and words reminded me why I chose that area to visit. Thanks for the photos and musings.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Awesome narrative, really enjoyed reading. Thanks for the TR and what a great trip!
jwill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by jwill »

I went over Colby a day or so before you, followed just about the same route. Finding the trail after the rock scramble was the hardest part.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Do you happen to be the couple from Davis? I may have passed you going the other way below Colby Pass. Solo female on the short side. Great report! And thanks for saying how hard the descent on the south side of Colby was. Coming up from the south just about did me in!
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Great trip report and thanks for sharing.

You aren't the first to shake and blur a bear photo. In 2006 I hiked the High Sierra Trail returning via Kern-Kaweah and Colby Pass. Here my bear picture...
IMG_0661.JPG
And then crossing that little saddle from the opposite direction...I was thinking wtf is this?
IMG_0664.JPG
And yes the Kern-Kaweah segment is beautiful especially Gallats Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report!

I am mulling over your route as an approach to Kaweah Basin, especially since following your route would take me through country I have not seen before and which looks spectacular!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Stevet says:
Great trip report and thanks for sharing.

You aren't the first to shake and blur a bear photo. In 2006 I hiked the High Sierra Trail returning via Kern-Kaweah and Colby Pass. Here my bear picture...
Me too. This young bear blundered unknowingly to within 30 meters of us- 4 adults and 4 kids! It was so startled, and perhaps embarrassed, that it wheeled around and bolted! I took a blurry photo per usual.

IMG_6323.JPG
IMG_6324.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.