TR: Deadman Canyon Loop - 8/13 to 8/18 , 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Deadman Canyon Loop - 8/13 to 8/18

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the wonderful report!
Did you notice any large bunches of wildflowers, off of the trail, on your way in to Tamarack? Did you get a chance to look up the outlet creek of Lonely Lake, if yes, did see what the wildflowers conditions were like? Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

maverick -
I’ll do my best to answer your question. Regarding the outlet stream from Lonely Lake, I only saw where it comes near (and eventually intersects) the Elizabeth Pass trail on my descent south - flowers very nice in this stretch. Perhaps (just a guess) if you headed upstream from here towards the lake, the flowers may rival those in Deadman Canyon - which were most spectacular - both below Ranger Meadow AND where trail climbs around the bench (below and east of the “falls” I showed); this second area they were shoulder-high; a few were over my head. The ones heading to Tamarack were very nice but did not match ones in the 3 areas I just described, either in concentration or diversity. I can PM you a link (a few flower photos from the T. Lake trail) to my Instagram account if that would help. I can also identify a few of them - but I am no Bill Finch
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the info, saw the flowers in Deadman. Lonely Lake outlet stream can have a gorgeous wildflower showing, the trail into TL is only occasional. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org