Lost GPS Across Palisade Creek Simpson Trail side- a week ago

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lost GPS Across Palisade Creek Simpson Trail side- a week ago

Post by Silky Smooth »

Its been a week since I lost my old faithful garmin gps loaded with all my stuff and tracks for over 9 years. I'm very sad for my winter tracks and I'm very disappointed in my self. I do stupid things all the time, but i'm serious about my gear. Except for this time :\ must be getting old. Here's a long shot.

Scenario: Across Palisade creek on the simpson trail side, possibly near the construction site area with the bear box construction boxlooking thing. Blackout and I took a break before figuring out where to cross. I think i left it here because my batteries were dead.

We then headed up palisade creek for about .8 miles then crossed where palisade creek becomes a sort of pool with all fallen trees blocking the crazy current. But it could possibly be in the creek itself, i really don't remember.

Its a garmin, i can tell you specific model and all the details.

thanks for the help!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Lost GPS Across Palisade Creek Simpson Trail side- a week ago

Post by bobby49 »

For the future replacement: Put the GPS receiver on a long tether. I use ultra-thin cord that is a little longer than my arm, and I attach the tether with a micro-carabiner to the inside of a waist pocket on my backpack. So, when I am moving, I can tuck it away into the pocket. When I need a position location, I pull it out into the open. If I need to lay it out on a rock, the cord has a brightly colored streamer on it so that I am unlikely to forget where it is.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Silky, Hope you downloaded your tracks. Hit Mav up on his gear offer for a new one.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Thanks Bobby, its on a biner, not a fan of the umbilical cord system for this piece of equipment. For my ice axe I like it when I'm not switching hands a lot on straight forward terrain. Like I said i'm more vigilant but shitt happens.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Yes rlown, i got everything syncd and dl before the trip on my comp before i went in, but i noticed some stuff didnt transfer proper. I'll probably know when i try to reup on a new one or unless the old one turns up.