TR: Horseshoe Meadow to Whitney Portal. 8/12-22, 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Horseshoe Meadow to Whitney Portal. 8/12-22, 2019

Post by grampy »

Thank you for the great report! (I have been waiting to see it). Many fine photos; +1 on the Upper Wrights “evening” photos, but also loved the “evening at Wallace Lake” one.
I think I took roughly the same way back to the NW corner of Soldier Lake coming back from Miter Basin. But after descending to the lake, I stupidly (?) tried making my way around the N, then E shore; it sounds like you found a “use” trail on the west shore ? I looked for this but didn’t see it - just curious.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

A truly splendid TR, as usual! Thanks for the great photos and narrative.

I really like seeing the patina of use on your fly rod, and especially on the reel. True 'beausage'...(beauty through usage).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are bear boxes on the SE side of Soldier Lake with a signed trail junction for that trail. Then there is a use-trail on the west side that is not marked. It is a good trail and runs along the west shore, getting a bit faint near the end where the trail up over the ridge is. I avoid camping at Soldier Lake because it is buggy and can be crowded. Must say that the stretch from Rock Creek on the PCT to Crabtree Meadow is pretty boring. I just was not sure I could safely get over Crabtree Pass, particularly around the upper lake.

What stuck me was the hordes on the JMT/PCT and then nobody or only one or two other people in all other basins. To me the PCT from Cottonwood to Mather Pass is mostly boring, just a trail to get places quickly - you really miss most of the good scenery which is up in the tributary drainages.
Another thing that struck me is that I would say 70% of the PCT/JMT hikers were foreign visitors. One young European couple were very nice but seriously asked me, "how do you know where you are when off a trail?" Reading a map was a mystery to them.

The garden is on an automatic sprinkler, not the best but it does keep it alive. I was just happy to get out of the Sacramento heat! My husband was home most of the time, but his idea is that you water once a week, and if the plants die, they do not belong in Sacramento.

That fly rod is over 50 years old- a handmade Fenwick kit rod.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

Wow! Thanks for the report. This is one of the reports that have me contemplating changing my trip last minute (once I decide on something, I need to stop reading trip reports!)
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Great trip WD! I too found your photos of Upper Wright Lake fantastic. Off trail travels are where it's at for sure- far from the madding crowd.
Congratulations on another fine adventure. Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm Then I climbed up, crossed the PCT, and followed the edge of timber to the Cross Valley-Lake South America trail junction. I had not walked the cross-trail in more than ten years, and forgot that it had such wonderful views.
Thanks for posting the TR and I love the pics of your new tent.

I hiked the cross trail (aka Kern cut-off trail) about 2 weeks ago. I agree the views of the Great Western Divide are wonderful. There is a section of that trail that offers a view which goes from the Red Spur in the south past Table Mountain in the north! Wonderful. I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of foxtail pine trees in that area. I camped at 11000+ feet and was surrounded by pine. Very nice.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Great photos, Daisy. Thanks for the trip report.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Great trip report. I can't believe that someone would say to a stranger that they should not be "out there" alone. Something like that requires a whole lot of hubris/rudeness, not sure what I would have done in your shoes, but going somewhere else is probably reasonable :)

I was in Milestone Basin and up around Lake SA about 10 days before you (trip report coming soon), the bugs were horrible in the area so I did not spend as much time exploring as I planned on. I also thought the trail from the JMT to the Kern was very pretty.

thanks for the photos and the details
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Classic route.. great pictures..
Glad you got to some places I think are very special..the inlet above Casper Lake and Milestone Creek.

Totally agree with the perspective on PCT hikers etc. I was forced to camp at Crabtree Meadows in June 2016 ...along with perhaps 100 PCT hikers..(the timing was due to "the wave" coming from Mexico. I was absolutely stunned at the sheer quantity. ) I talked to several about getting to any one of the side basins..no dice. After I left I spent some time in several side basins and didnt see a sole.

Thanks for great TR.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

As usual, I really enjoyed your trip report and photos. It is really out of bounds for anyone to comment about being “out there” alone, but then I’ve been getting a lot of the same comments, especially since my accident. Too many people simply don’t comprehend the transcendent experience of going solo.

Having never been to Solder and Sky Blue Lake, it is something I’ve been considering, Your report put it at or near the top of places I need to get to.

Most of the rest of your report was wonderful journey to places I’ve been to and loved. The Wallace and Wrights Lake photos are stunning. Yes, the cross trail really does have wonderful views. “Casper” Lake was one of my favorite places to camp. I’ve been wanting to get back to Milestone Basin for many years so a vicarious visit was wonderful. Thank you for sharing your experience of this classic route.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com