Route from Spring to Cyclamen to Columbine Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Route from Spring to Cyclamen to Columbine Lake

Post by cburton103 »

I'm heading up to Mineral King in a few weeks, and I'm super excited. We plan to enter via Franklin Pass and camp at Little Claire Lake. Then we'll head down the trail, ultimately spending night two at Lake 10,410 in the Little Five Lakes Basin. If we have the energy on day two, we plan to head up the Big Five Lakes Basin and up and over the easy off trail pass to the highest of the Little Five Lakes en route to Lake 10,410. Day Three we'll explore the Lake 10,410 area and the Big Arroyo a bit, then we'll head over Black Rock Pass and contour over to Spring Lake. Our last day, I'd like to head up to Cyclamen and Columbine Lakes and up and over Sawtooth Pass if the route from Cyclamen to Columbine isn't too sketchy. I consider myself comfortable with Class II travel, but big exposure especially when combined with terrain approaching Class III bugs me out too much to enjoy.

Can someone explain the route from Cyclamen to Columbine? With pictures if possible. When I check out that area in pictures, everything looks steep and slick. The Spring to Cyclamen route looks very straightforward. Thanks in advance!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Re: Route from Spring to Cyclamen to Columbine Lake

Post by cburton103 »

I've included one of the better photos I found online of this area, as well as the route that looks doable based on the picture. Hopefully that will make it easier to advise me. The main part I'm concerned about is the steep slab above Cylcamen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Looking at a slightly more zoomed in picture, it appears there may be an easier route traversing southwest up a ramp. Hard to say based on pictures of the area. I looked around on Google Earth, and the ramp/ridge looks more doable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

This could help: https://www.snwburd.com/bob/maps/two_fingers_1.html

Also Secor writes about moving from Columbine Lake to Cyclamen Lake on page 102.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 pm This could help: https://www.snwburd.com/bob/maps/two_fingers_1.html

Also Secor writes about moving from Columbine Lake to Cyclamen Lake on page 102.
Awesome, thanks for the help. I love the Sierras, so I'll pick up a copy of Secor's book. It's probably about time!
adornowest
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by adornowest »

I did this loop a decade ago or so and loved it.

I hate exposure and didn't find the route north and then east of Cyclaman to be much of a problem. The worst part for me--and it wasn't very bad--was the steep talus above Cyclaman. If you really screwed up, I felt, you could end up in the lake. But once I made it to the boulder field, I didn't have any worries about exposure. The route was a lot of fun.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5310&p=33670#p33670
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

adornowest wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:33 pm I did this loop a decade ago or so and loved it.

I hate exposure and didn't find the route north and then east of Cyclaman to be much of a problem. The worst part for me--and it wasn't very bad--was the steep talus above Cyclaman. If you really screwed up, I felt, you could end up in the lake. But once I made it to the boulder field, I didn't have any worries about exposure. The route was a lot of fun.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5310&p=33670#p33670

I’ve read that thread and your report several times. I actually based a good bit of our trip off of that thread and especially Maverick’s comments in it. Glad to hear you loved it!
adornowest
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by adornowest »

Yeah, Maverick was a huge help. The lake basins are beautiful! You will love them. Cyclamen, incidentally, is also really beautiful.

If you look at the area on google earth, I think you'll get a better idea of what is involved.

What we did--and there well maybe a better route--was 1) climb up the ridge N/NW of Cyclaman until we got high enough, 2) traverse the scree (on google earth its the part of the mountain that looks like it is sand), 3) and then exit through a boulder field. (1) for us involved some use of our hands for large steps up and the like. (2) was the only part that made me at all nervous since the scree was loose and steep at times. (3) involved the usual being careful not to step onto loose boulders, etc, but I never felt terribly exposed.

I do not believe that the route you draw on the first photo is actually a route. I remember the east side of the lake to be very cliffy--nothing you are want to try to go up. Hopefully someone with more recent experience or better knowledge will chime in.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

I received Secor's book in the mail this week and looked through his route for the area, and it matches the description by adornowest. So that's the route we'll give a go in about a month, assuming the weather holds for us! If the weather looks ugly or there is any snow or ice we'll head down Cliff Creek and out over Timber Gap. Thanks for everyone who commented for the advice, and I hope everyone gets a chance to get out this fall!