Sabrina/North Lake trailhead Qs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sabrina/North Lake trailhead Qs

Post by Matthewkphx »

Howdy,

I’m thinking about visiting the basin above Sabrina or maybe hiking into Humphreys Basin from the North Lake trailhead for a couple nights during the first week of October.

I know snow is a possibility and I’m choosing these areas because it’s a relatively quick downhill back to the car if it starts snowing in any appreciable amount (particularly from Sabrina). I will keep an eye on the weather forecast in the days leading up to my trip, of course.

My question is: would the road to Sabrina or North Lake get closed if a little snow fell? I wouldn’t want to get my car stuck on the uphill side of a gate... am I safe to assume I won’t get stuck up there unless an unusually heavy early snowstorm happened?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sabrina/North Lake trailhead Qs

Post by balzaccom »

The answer to your question is that the road won't close if a little snow falls. It will close if more than a little snow falls. Caveat Hiker.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Ok. Thanks for confirming.

I'll be conservative in my judgement.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Balz is feeling snarky. The road to Sabrina is fully paved and would melt out faster and/or be reopened quicker in the event of closure. The road to N. lake is not fully paved or plowable. But yeah, if it's only a couple days just read up on your forecast.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Sabrina should be safe in October, with the paved road and all the resort homes at Aspendell. North Lake would be iffy if it should snow. You can walk from Sabrina up the road to the North Lake trailhead--I think it took me about 45 minutes to do it, so if you want to play it safe just park at Sabrina rather than North Lake.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the responses!