possible relocation of trip 9/26-9/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

possible relocation of trip 9/26-9/28

Post by Ultrajen »

i camped at cottonwood last weekend to just freezing temps. i always stay warm in my bag and tent but making coffee and breakfast in the morning or dinner after the sun goes down can be miserable. i have permits with my son to go from onion valley over kearsarge planning on camping at the lakes and then day hiking. i love that area but temps looks like a low of 20ish? so not sure if i want to tough it out or come up with another plan.

we live north of los angeles. i'm open to anywhere less than 5 hours so maybe jennie lakes which i've not done, other sequoias areas though they always seem more busy than sierra eastside. not really found anything beautiful in the kernville area. and i don't know kennedy meadows at all. looking for ideas or support or maybe more info. how do i get really specific info on noaa for instance.
grampy
Topix Regular

Re: possible relocation of trip 9/26-9/28

Post by grampy »

the local forecast for Kearsarge Pass can be found here:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... YJe_iVlCEc
... scroll down to see the map. You can touch/click on the map to move the green “square” zone to get forecasted conditions for different locations.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Much appreciated! Any suggestions if we relocate? Opinion on Kennedy meadows or Jennie?
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

That map is so helpful! Book marked! i can see exactly where will be camping and it looks less bad than I thought. Freezing overnight is ok with me, 20 not so much. i'll watch it next few days.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Seems to me that weather might be an issue also just crossing that 12,000 foot Kearsarge Pass. You could also just stay at a lower elevation in one of the east side lake basins. Big Pine Creek, for example, just a bit further north than Onion Valley, has several lakes up the canyon at the 10,000 foot level with good camping and spectacular scenery. You can dayhike to see the other lakes and even up to the edge of the Middle Palisade Glacier.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Campsite in the trees will offer protection from wind and more moderate night temperatures. Kearsarge Lakes are in the shadow of the Divide for morning sun, so plan on later starts. You may get later day shadows from Kearsarge Pinnacles. If you arrive in the late afternoon you can see for yourself where the sunnier locations are. There are plenty of nice campsites at Kearsarge Lakes nestled in the trees.

When you look at the NWS forecast squares, be sure to also look on the bottom for the elevation. The forecast for the AVERAGE elevation in that square. Move the square around a bit so that the average elevation matches the elevation that you are considering. Kearsarge Lakes are about 10,900 feet.

If you were to instead camp at Charlotte Lake, you would be at 10,500 feet and get more morning sun, and still have trees. Same if you were to spend on night on the east side at Matlock Lake. But Kearsarge Lakes ARE very beautiful so I personally would just bit the bullet and deal with colder mornings.

Although a bit farther to drive, you may also consider Big Pine Lakes, which are at about 10,000 feet. You could camp at Second or Third Lake and day-hike to the upper lakes, and up to Sam Mack Meadow. All very stunning scenery. Plenty of camping in timber too. Pretty easy to get in there and no big pass to go over in case you have to quickly get out.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

We love big pine but we’ve been a few times. Hoping for something new. Kinda stuck.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

On the westside, a trail in the corner of Kings Canyon Park, Sequoia Park, and Jennie Lakes Wilderness starts at Rowell Meadow trailhead off the Big Meadows road - get your permit from the Grant Grove visitor center. My wife and I did a nice three day trip there the last weekend in September a few years ago, going first to camp at Lost Lake, which has spectacular granite peaks above it. The next day over Silliman Pass, down past Twin Lakes, back up over JO Pass, and then over to camp at Jennie Lake. Last day was quick from Jennie Lake back to the trailhead. Jennie Lake was crowded. You could do an easier trip just going to Lost Lake and camping 2 nights there. Take a side trip over to Ranger and Beville Lake and up the Silliman Pass trail - but the best views are about 1/2 way up the pass where you are on big rocks overlooking Ranger Lake. No views at the pass itself. On the way out, make an in-and-out detour to see Seville Lake as well. The shortcut trail shown on the topo from Seville Lake up to the pass to the north is completely gone - you have to go back to the main Belle Canyon trail. This area is all between 8,000 and 10,000 feet elevation with plenty of trees, so should be warmer.
-Phil
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Phil that’s my back up plan. I prefer east side and shorter drive but this seems smarter and allows for fires. do you know what trail head or what the trail head is? I’ll try to find it.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Ultrajen wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 am ... do you know what trail head or what the trail head is? I’ll try to find it.
Though the NPS “official” name for it is Sunset Meadow Trailhead, it is almost universally referred to as as Rowell Meadow Trailhead (including on road signage). But your wilderness permit is based on your “entry trail”, which will be Belle Canyon Trail.