TR - A little walk on the JMT, Happy Isle to Red's 09/01 to 09/08

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: TR - A little walk on the JMT, Happy Isle to Red's 09/01 to 09/08

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nice pic of the Cathedral Range :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

A very nice story that has a real sense of immediacy. And great photos! Thanks for posting.
-Phil
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks so much for posting this. I enjoyed reading about your daily thoughts and experiences. It's amazing that you saw a mountain lion chasing a deer. A rare experience. Not to worry about coyotes. Just enjoy their songs. Coyotes are shy of people. I've heard them many times (one a youngster only 30 feet away, singing for an hour or so) and even if close, they won't come near you or if they do, you'd likely never know it. At dusk or at night, they sing to one another at a distance or in a pack together as they chase, after marmots, picas, or other critters that might be about.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

You've learned a list of lessons you will be wiser about in the future. Indeed carrying heavy weight up mountain trails is more strenuous than imagined. Not being able to locate one's camp spot is a serious concern that could have resulted in spending a night in frigid cold. A reason novices are more likely to camp right on trails while experienced crosscountry backpackers that camp away from trails and lake edges, learn to be absolutely clear where their tent is before they wander off into such vast areas. Same thing at night when one wanders off in the dark to take a P. It is so easy to get turned around and around into confusion. Live and learn.

It is not enough to be able to survive backpacking but with experience rather one learns to make the experience in all ways less unpleasant and more pleasant. A key is not planning itineraries with long strenuous hiking days. Instead plan an easy itinerary and then spend a lot more time at each destination, especially as a photographer when light is optimal. All too often novices itineraries are a list of supposed icons that would be better served covering areas on multiple trips. What one usually finds is there is far more at these idyllic landscapes one could spend more time at instead of being continually on trails.

Many thru hikers only experience Thousand Island Lake in late afternoon when they arrive which is unaesthetically back lit. They make dinner and spend evening hours as camp bodies. Then at sunrise they are still asleep, slow to rise, go through usual rituals, are still groggy sipping coffee. By time they get onto the trail at 9am, light is becoming harsh and breezy waters are no longer calm and reflecting, they've missed the experience why it is world class as though being able to say they were there is all that mattered.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

SSSdave wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am Many thru hikers only experience Thousand Island Lake in late afternoon when they arrive which is unaesthetically back lit. They make dinner and spend evening hours as camp bodies. Then at sunrise they are still asleep, slow to rise, go through usual rituals, are still groggy sipping coffee. By time they get onto the trail at 9am, light is becoming harsh and breezy waters are no longer calm and reflecting, they've missed the experience why it is world class as though being able to say they were there is all that mattered.
Dude, you say literally the same thing in every thread about this area. We get it, your way of enjoying the wilderness is superior. At least your post was shorter this time?

SSSdave wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:40 am A group hikes into Thousand Island Lake at 6pm on an August day then makes camp among several others at the village on the northeast slope above the lake. The lake waters are dark blue and breezy and the two famous peaks westward, unaesthetically backlit with the sun behind them. They make camp, wander down to the lake edge to filter some water, make dinner, and spend an hour or two after sunset till turning in to their sleeping bags.

The next morning they wake up about sunrise and poke their head out of their tent to catch a few glimpses of some warm light off Banner Peak while noticing a photographer with a tripod is passing by looking about for views. But it it is chilly at 6am and they are still drowsy so roll over and go back to sleep. An hour later sun altitude is higher and now shining on their tent so within a half hour they get up and start coffee going, the only thing that matters. The photographer they noticed is walking back to a nearby camp apparently done with a 3 hour morning session of work.

After that it is a slow hour of packing gear up as they enjoy catching views in the distance across the huge lake with islands at the impressive landscape. By 9:30am they have dug 6 inch holes and hoisted their packs on to start another 9 trail hours. As they pass the icon outlet view at 10am they revel at the superb view and snap a photo or three with their smartphones. The lake itself is already somewhat breezy as the early morning reflecting lull was 2 hours earlier and the light on the snow dabbled peaks is no longer striking as it was two hours before. But who cares, what else is there to look at, as a minute later they continue on?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am
Dude, you say literally the same thing in every thread about this area. We (only you) get it, your way of enjoying the wilderness is superior. At least your post was shorter this time?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Newcomer you ought know I am notorious on numbers of web boards for never being drawn into emotional disputes online regardless of how much am baited by nonsense. In other words, my stuff smells like sweet fresh roses, and I like it.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for the great TR - looks like a fabulous trip and tons of high quality photos! Really liked the milky way shots!
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Yes, thanks for the report! And especially for this little nugget...'the only time to enjoy these places is now, in a few steps it will be too late.'
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

A great long report SB! The amazing mountain lion experience makes me shudder with envy- I still haven't had a sure view of one.
And there are too many fine photos from your trip to choose from, but I will say that many from around the Cathedral Range were my favorites. You have the mastered the panorama business haven't you? I reckon my friend's fault was turning around 180 degrees while shooting-- crazy distortions!

You make some good observations about crowds, and very good decisions too. Isn't backing off from things so much easier as we age? :nod:
That was a great trip you did, congratulations!
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

Enjoyed the report and am really envious of your lion sighting. Pleased to see that I am not the only one that walks away from my tent for a couple of hours then wanders around for ages trying to find it again.