october in emigrant

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

october in emigrant

Post by frozenintime »

hey all

i'm planning a trip to emigrant for the first weekend in october.

does anyone have a sense of where hunters (and the accompanying horse trains) tend to congregate?
and what trailheads they tend to use?
i saw oleander's post that many were headed south of the pine valley trail last weekend, but have no sense if that changes as the season moves on.

our route at the moment is kennedy meadows to the iceland/lewis lakes area for the first night, and the buck/deer/wire lakes area for the second.
but we are open to rethinking that if it means less orange and horse poop!
oleander
Topix Expert

Re: october in emigrant

Post by oleander »

frozenintime wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am hey all

does anyone have a sense of where hunters (and the accompanying horse trains) tend to congregate?
i saw oleander's post that many were headed south of the pine valley trail last weekend, but have no sense if that changes as the season moves on.

our route at the moment is kennedy meadows to the iceland/lewis lakes area for the first night, and the buck/deer/wire lakes area for the second.
Hi frozenintime,

I spent two nights in the Iceland/Lewis area in October 2015. Never saw hide nor hair of any hunters, if I remember correctly - even on the trail approach.

Iceland/Lewis is actually far more charming and amazing than any trails I have done thus far over the years in Emigrant. Consider doing 2 nights there and just really getting to know it? There is plenty to see. I don't remember Buck Lakes, but Deer/Wire are far less interesting than Iceland/Lewis.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

thanks for the suggestion:)
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

oleander wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 pm
frozenintime wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am hey all

Hi frozenintime,

I spent two nights in the Iceland/Lewis area in October 2015. Never saw hide nor hair of any hunters, if I remember correctly - even on the trail approach.

Iceland/Lewis is actually far more charming and amazing than any trails I have done thus far over the years in Emigrant. Consider doing 2 nights there and just really getting to know it? There is plenty to see. I don't remember Buck Lakes, but Deer/Wire are far less interesting than Iceland/Lewis.
Second Iceland. Was there the weekend that the Rim fire started. Camped high on the west side of the lake and spent nearly two hours just sitting there taking picture after picture of the most AMAZING alpenglow I have ever witnessed. Then lost my camera taking the drainage down on my way home.. :cursing:
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

I just came back from the Emigrant Wilderness on Friday since the previous Saturday. I saw hunters at Toejam, Upper Buck, and Snow Lakes, as well as near the junction of Mosquito Pass and the trail from Kennedy Meadows and near Grizzly and Summit Meadows. Never heard any shots, but the Mosquito Pass group had taken a couple of deer.