Yosemite North to South 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Yosemite North to South 2020

Post by c9h13no3 »

potatopants wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pmOne additional question -- what is the water situation between Glen Aulin and Return Creek? I've read trip reports that say there isn't much/any.
I may be missing something obvious, but isn't the trail between these two spots along the Tuolumne River? Seems to be enough water for the city of San Francisco...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Water is NOT a problem! But at high flows getting water from the Tuolumne can be dangerous in some places. Lots of slick polished slabs near the river. Another "water" problem early is that the flat downstream of Glen Aulin floods and you have to wade, sometimes thigh to crotch deep! You will be too late season for that.

The trail does veer away from the river between an upper fall (LeConte?) and Waterwheel Falls. Once I purposely hiked off-trail right next to the Tuolumne- it was very peaceful and beautiful. Slower than the trail, of course. Once you drop from Waterwheel Falls the trail is away from the water until you reach the bridge. Even then, at the bottom of the falls you can walk over to the river and get water. You may have to go off the trail to get water in places. The climb up over the hump at Muir Gorge is dry. Smaller side streams dry up quickly once the heat begins. But there are plenty of large creeks and luckily bridges across most.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Ah, I was thinking of the stretch of the PCT through Cold Canyon, once you turn north from Glen Aulin.