Yosemite North to South 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Yosemite North to South 2020

Post by grampy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Regarding the earlier comment about the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF portion of Hoover Wilderness switching over to Recreation.gov for permit reservations:
potatopants wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:12 am
I called the Humboldt-Toiyabe ranger station back in September or October to clarify whether or not I'd need a permit for Leavitt Meadows ... He said permits will still open on March 1 but to go to Recreation.gov for them instead. I'm surprised there isn't anything up on the website yet. Maybe after the New Year?
Here is the announcement from Humboldt-Toiyabe NF confirming what they told you:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/htnf/hom ... rdb5238673

CAMERONM
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Something to consider: I have done both of the high and low Merced trails, and I like both, for different reasons. The lower trail is very scenic
with the Indian Falls. At the same time, although I have not done the portion running from Red Peak to the Valley, I have always had the impression that it might be stuck the trees and not so thrilling. So you might consider the following: Follow your southern route clockwise all the way to Red Peak (yes all the way to the pass, the rocks are amazing there), and make sure you spend the night at the Red Devil Lake. Then return back and take the lower Merced trail north, across through Merced camp and across west to rejoin your route. No, on the map it does not look so much like a big round circular route, but it will offer a lot interesting experiences, or possibly more, than what you have outlined. Some may know that hike from Red peak to the valley and may differ...
You may also find that it will be hard to get the permit to do the JMT portion from the valley to Tuolumne; they may offer the Cloud's Rest trail instead.

potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm

Cameron, thanks for this suggestion -- I certainly don't mind backtracking if it brings me to some great places. I do have an interest in going as far as Lower Ottoway Lake, and then I think the section west of that, toward the valley, passes through a burn area, so I'm going to have to think on that a bit. Permit wise, my hope is for a Rafferty Creek permit, and if not that, then Lyell, and if not that, then Cathedral... I'm hopeful that as a solo hiker I'll be able to snag a spot. Something will work out, certainly!

Grampy, thanks for sharing the announcement.