2019 Season Review

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2019 Season Review

Post by davidsheridan »

@Rs44 - in addition to the value of a information in a delayed TR posted in the winter, there is entertainment value as well. the reports start to slow down in the winter, and is nice to have a fresh new line to enjoy, so please post one or more of your adventures the summer.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

This was a good season, with three trips.

June a Hetch Hetchy to Vernon warm up trip.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19504&p=146794&hilit=vernon#p146794

Late July a trip to Sabrina basin with my brother.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19799&p=149100&hili ... na#p149100

August a trip to Red Mountain Basin with a friend--the first time I had been anywhere near this region.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19878&hilit=red#p149715

I rarely get out more than 3 times in a summer, and I try to do at least one all-new major trip, which was the Red Mountain Basin trip. The heavy snowpack and late season mosquitoes had an impact on my Sabrina Basin trip and a bit on the Red Mountain Basin trip. But hiking again with my brother after many years apart, and exploring new territory in Red Mountain Basin, were real highlights. And like at least a couple of you, I was thrilled to get out and hike after having going through some health issues last winter that I feared might keep me away. They didn't!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Sigh...other than an early season jaunt Agnew, over Donahue to Yosemite, an overnight trip to the Snow Creek overlook, a few fishing adventures backside Saddlebag, and a day trip to Hoffman, I was stuck in Tuolumne Meadows all summer. Somehow I survived anyway. \:D/
Mountainman who swims with trout
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

My worst year yet since I started backpacking in 2015....

I encountered the worst postholing of my life below Pinchot Pass in June.
viewtopic.php?t=19528

I almost died crossing Fish Creek in June.
viewtopic.php?t=19634

I had to cancel a North Lake - South Lake trip in July.

On my "Clark Range" trip in August I didn't even make it to the Clark Range!
viewtopic.php?t=20032

And I had to cancel a Kings-Kaweah Divide trip in September.

All that said, my "worst" was still way better than my pre-backpacking life!

Bench Canyon
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

For me, this was the year nothing went as planned. I still had a great backpacking year; just had to roll with some changes. I gave up quite a number of Sierra permits and shortened several trips, owing to snow, work, snow, illness, snow, wildfires…But in place of some of my canceled hikes, emerged some unexpected and wonderful adventures such as Grand Canyon and the Wind Rivers. And I managed to see several new places in the Sierra too, after the snowpack had mostly melted. And I ran into more HST'ers than usual.

1. Annual New Year’s peakbagging with Desert Peaks group (car-camping). HST sightings: Peaks & Potatoes; Jimr
2. Henry Coe, spring (first time)
3. Grand Canyon: 7-day raft trip; hiked out Bright Angel Trail
4. Desert PCT north from Highway 8. Planned 6 days; got sick and cut drastically short
5. Grant Grove car-camping in mid-June, b/c too much snow to get into Dinkey Lakes area. HST sighting: Jimr
6. Little Lakes Valley (first time). HST sighting: Road-walking to TH, had to leap out of path of fast-moving car. Turned out to be Hobbes
7. Sabrina Basin over July 4. HST sighting: Jimr
8. Wonder Lakes (first time; in place of HST meetup). HST sighting: Jimr
9. Leavitt Meadows to Lady Lakes (first time). HST sighting: Gary C
10. Wind Rivers #1: Titcomb/Indian/Wall Lake (first time in Wind Rivers)
11. Wind Rivers #2: My long trip of the year; 8 days near Cirque of the Towers; dramatically altered route b/c of forest fire
12. Matthew Greene search, Minaret Lake. HST sightings: Lots
13. Emigrant Wilderness. HST sighting: Flamingo

This actually represented fewer nights out than in 2018. Half of the above 2019 trips were just 1-2 nights out. In 2020, I’d like to do fewer trips but more nights out.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

Not my finest season. Sprained my ankle in the Trinity Alps on the Fourth of July, had to walk out 12 miles on it, and never totally healed the rest of summer. I wouldn't have minded so much, but the trip wasn't all that great because the trail was jam-packed, which surprised me given I'd hardly ever seen a soul out in the Alps before. However, later in the summer I was able to get in an amazing trip to some obscure lakes in Sequoia, and did another beautiful trek in the Marbles as well.

But the highlight of my season was exploring Sequoia with my girlfriend and her six year old daughter. They'd never seen the park before, so that made it all the more wonderful. We did a lot of the classic stuff like Crescent Meadow, Tharp's Log, General Sherman, Beetle Rock, Sunset Rock, and Crystal Cave. But we also went to plenty of hidden swimming holes and water slides, and even took a peak inside a cave on the Crystal Cave road that's in plain-sight, and yet pretty much impossible to find unless you know what you're looking for. The girls fell in love with the park much like I did the first time I saw it when I was six, so that was pretty special.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sure my season's over yet. Yosemite's supposed to be in the 70's next weekend, so might have to get up in the mountains one last time before winter hits.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

creekfeet wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 am Not my finest season. Sprained my ankle in the Trinity Alps on the Fourth of July, had to walk out 12 miles on it, and never totally healed the rest of summer. I wouldn't have minded so much, but the trip wasn't all that great because the trail was jam-packed, which surprised me given I'd hardly ever seen a soul out in the Alps before. However, later in the summer I was able to get in an amazing trip to some obscure lakes in Sequoia, and did another beautiful trek in the Marbles as well.

But the highlight of my season was exploring Sequoia with my girlfriend and her six year old daughter. They'd never seen the park before, so that made it all the more wonderful. We did a lot of the classic stuff like Crescent Meadow, Tharp's Log, General Sherman, Beetle Rock, Sunset Rock, and Crystal Cave. But we also went to plenty of hidden swimming holes and water slides, and even took a peak inside a cave on the Crystal Cave road that's in plain-sight, and yet pretty much impossible to find unless you know what you're looking for. The girls fell in love with the park much like I did the first time I saw it when I was six, so that was pretty special.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sure my season's over yet. Yosemite's supposed to be in the 70's next weekend, so might have to get up in the mountains one last time before winter hits.
- What trail in the Trinity Alps? I've always thought of it as a possible option to avoid crowds.
- Bringing along new people is pretty awesome. Their energy is contagious :)
- And yeah, I'm headed to Yosemite next weekend as well. But this seems like a natural low point in the Sierra season. No skiing yet and it's cold enough that most are done backpacking.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

I did alright considering the conditions this summer.
- Three weekends in Emigrant in June/July.
- Full Yosemite High Route in two parts in July/August and September
- 4 day trip around Bear Basin / Italy Pass area in August
- 7 days in Wind River Range in early September
- Plus a couple of car camping weekends

Working on putting out trip reports for the longer of these trips, will post them here when they're finished.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Working on putting out trip reports for the longer of these trips, will post them here when they're finished.
:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

The season's over?! I just got back from SEKI, and it's still sunny and warm up there*.

This year I only did short peakbagging dayhikes, all at the last minute. Next year I'd like to train more and improvise less, so I can do some longer trips. Still, I had a lot of beautiful days in the mountains, and I'm grateful for every one of them. I only made one TR this year, so I hope it is okay to share a few photos here.

* Warm after 10am. :)
  • Columbine (from South Lake, over Bishop and Knapsack Passes). I love Dusy Basin, so was very happy to make this hike. Besides climbing Columbine, I also went all around the basin, checking out all the lakes. There's a good view from the top, with fun overhanging summit blocks. But my camera broke, so I'll have to go back.
  • Checkered Demon (from North Lake, ascended a shortcut and descended Piute Pass)
    The summit is a bit disappointing, as the fairly flat ridgeline just stops. But there are great views into Humphreys Basin. I liked seeing all the icy lakes, and Piute Pass was green and flowery. I added Humphreys to my climbing wishlist.
  • Painted Lady (from Onion Valley, over Kearsarge and Glen Pass)
    Painted Lady doesn't look like much, but it has a great view of Rae Lakes. It is also nice to be in such a popular area, and yet get away from the crowds. My last time over Glen Pass someone was smoking at the top and I could smell them for ages on either side. This time was magical again.
  • Gilbert (from South Lake, over Treasure Col)
    A little playing in the snow, up Treasure Col. The flowers were the highlight of this hike. My descent was a lot slower than I had expected, over tedious talus.
  • Ritter (SE face, from Agnew Meadows)
    Ritter's view isn't as good as Banner's, as it is blocked by a long shallow ridge and by Banner itself. But the whole area is extremely photogenic. I ascended over the snow, again, although the steepest parts could be bypassed without an axe. I'll most remember the millions of butterflies, from the snowfield beneath the summit all the way to the top.
  • Seven Gables (from Lake Thomas Edison)
    This portion of the JMT/PCT is the busiest I've seen, but I saw nobody off that trail on either end. Seven Gables has a nice view to the northeast, a slightly dramatic summit block, and a fun (though short) ridgeline climb.
  • Stanford (N) and Morgan (N) (from Rock Creek)
    I liked the views north, toward Red Slate, but the scenery overall was not great. And I don't know why people climb Morgan. I did find the sandy descent Secor describes, very clean and smooth.
  • Wallace (from Lake Sabrina)
    I hadn't planned on climbing Wallace, but improvised and went up the NE face and down a loose col to the south. The approach hike is fantastic, there is an interesting summit block, and I really liked the views over into Evolution Basin.
  • Goode (and "No Goode," from South Lake)
    Ascended No Goode on solid rock, reveled in the views along the ridge to Goode, then took a sandy descent. A short day, but really fun.
  • Winchell (from Big Pine)
    Fun routefinding from Sam Mack Meadow above Sam Mack Lake. The climb itself was straightforward. Winchell's summit has great views of the Palisades and of Dusy Basin (again). Still, I've never loved this trailhead.
  • Dragon (from Onion Valley)
    The approach hike was very pretty. I saw evidence of bighorn sheep. The climb was fun but maybe underwhelming. I stayed below the ridge and there were only maybe two class 3 moves. Crossing a crack below the summit, I realized that my fear of heights is a lot less than it once was. Good reminder to stay careful.
  • Independence (from Onion Valley)
    A morning hike to time the traffic back home.
  • Humphreys (from North Lake)
    My first class 4! I was psyched up to climb it, but fully prepared to turn around. There were two other climbers all roped up at the crux. I just went around them. I guess they were off route? Or maybe I was, because it wasn't bad at all. Terrific views of Humphreys Basin. I have to go back earlier in the season.
  • University (from Onion Valley)
    Another traffic-timing hike, I looped up the North face and down the Southeast face. Having gone over Kearsarge and University Passes so many times, I've wanted to climb University for a while. It didn't disappoint.
  • Russell and Whitney (from Whitney Portal)
    Russell's East ridge is really fun. I descended the South face, with one class 4 move (?), then went up Whitney's North face (enjoyable climbing along a ridge) and descended the Mountaineer's Route. My first time down the MR in the summer—so much scree! Not too many people. I wrote a trip report here.
  • Alta (from Wolverton)
    I went with a friend who was suffering from the altitude, and we barely made it back before dark. But we did make it back safe and sound, and Sequoia NP was awesome.