Kennedy Meadows (South)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kennedy Meadows (South)

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Based on the relatively mild conditions this fall and the mild forecast for the southern Sierra next week, a friend and I are looking to do some backcountry travel from Sunday to Thursday (Nov 17-21). I've never been to Kennedy Meadows (south) and am wondering if anyone has thoughts about how interesting it might be to start from there. From the map, it looks like the PCT shoots north for quite a way, with no practical loop options, but we like to navigate off trail (level 3) as much as stay on trail, so we could create our own loop. What I don't know is how dense the vegetation is in that area (would it complicate off-trail travel?) or how scenic it is (is it miles of canopy that obscures the view?). Our alternative is to go a bit further north, entering from Horseshoe or Onion Valley.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Kennedy Meadows (South)

Post by gary c. »

I'm not sure if the road is still open to the Blackrock Trailhead but if it is there are some nice options from there. Including a stop at Jordan Hot Springs for a soak. The main trail to Jordan is used regularly and in good shape but some of the trails in the area have not had much maintenance. Keep in mind that even though it is a more southern area that temps can still drop pretty low at night.

Also lots of options southeast of Kennedy Meadows in the Domeland Wilderness.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray