Looking for recommendations?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RedRider
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for recommendations?

Post by RedRider »

I spent a few days in Darwin Bench this summer; it was a truly surreal experience. It became one of my favorite places in the Sierra. I'd like to explore areas similar to Darwin Bench (jaw-dropping!), Dusy Basin (amazing!), Humphrey Basin (spectacular!), etc. Any recommendations?

Here's a few pics to give you a feel for what I'm looking for. Any insight would be appreciated.

Darwin Bench

Humphreys Basin
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Looking for recommendations?

Post by TurboHike »

Upper Kern basin in Sequoia National Park is nice.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All individual recommendations are going to be bias, including mine. Just spend some time reading our trip reports. They have lots of good photos too. You can then choose your favorite and then ask specific questions about your "short list".
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I think you're describing any alpine spot above treeline, but below the vegetation line. Sierra is full of these types of hanging valleys. I'd think timing is probably more important, you want most of the snow to be melted, but still have enough water around to keep the plants green. This year, there was so much water, things stayed green until mid-September.

But yeah, in general you get 3 vegetation zones as you go up in elevation: 1) timber 2) alpine grass/heather/shrubs 3) desolate. It's that zone 2 that's really nice.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
RedRider
Topix Novice

Post by RedRider »

Thanks for the replies.

The trip reports have been very helpful. I’ll look in to Kern Basin. Another potential spot is Mills Creek basin via Gabbott pass.

So true about timing. Zone 2 can be magical if the timing is right, especially this year when we got June conditions well into August
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

I was just north of Humphreys Basin in early September (trip report here: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 2&p=150997 ). Granite Park and Vee Lake both fit into that category (at least when I was there, big snow year, etc).

Granite Park:

Vee Lake:

Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I, too, finally went to the Darwin Bench this past August and found it as idyllic as I've read on HST. My own trip report will come soon.