TR:Davis Lakes-Garnet-1000 Island-Minnow Creek- and More

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR:Davis Lakes-Garnet-1000 Island-Minnow Creek- and More

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Echoing wildhiker...horrendous mosquitoes in September? Wow, what a wet year it was.

Great trip report. I wish my disappointing trips were as good as yours (minus the injury). Did your Achilles get back to normal? I had a similar problem come out of nowhere on a bike tour and had to manage it for 2 more days of riding, including going over Trail Ridge Rd (12000+ feet). But it went back to normal within a few days of being home.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Excellent report -- and terrific photos. You really put in the miles.

I was in the Minnow Creek area in mid August this year, on the way to Peter Pande Lake. Mosquitoes were bad down in the meadow.

What was going with your sore Achilles? Is this an ongoing issue?

Mike M.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

The only location that was really bad for mossies was the Minnow Creek area, especially headed up to Beetlebug Lake. I had a similar experience at the end of August, 2017, except the mossies were even worse and extended for most of the trail between Lost Lakes and Goodale pass and again once you dropped down to Cold Creek nearly all the way to VVR. 2019 was great in comparison. The lump went away completely after about 2 weeks of taking it easy, but I still have unusual soreness when hiking and biking. I just don't push it enough to reach actual pain. I figure that I have until the end of March to get back to 100%, I don't typically do long hikes or bike rides until at least March. A fair weather person. If it didn't come through in the trip report, I really did enjoy the first half of the day going over Muir Pass. Absolutely fantastic scenery that I hadn't seen a few years. There were many wonderful times during the hike, just not on a par with other Sierra hikes, but that was a mental problem on my part. The Sierra certainly delivered as always.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great report with beautifully composed photos. Thanks for posting.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Lumbergh writes:
I was now in an LNT quandry; someone left 9 cans of beer in the creek. There is no one else camped here, and the sun is going down. Do I:

a) Leave the beers where they lie,
b) Drink a few and pack out the empty cans, or
c) Pour out all of the beers and pack out all of the empty cans?

Drinking all of the beer is not an option; it’s Bud Light.
Lumbergh, there are many inquiring minds out here that are very keen to know how many of those beers you drank. And how drinking... well, we guess a minimum of 3 quick beers, affected your subsequent hiking. Did you fall down a lot? Take another long rest? ;)

And then you come across whatever sort of spirit "Fireball" is?! Was this the same day? I might have gone back and set up camp at "Beer Creek" and had them for chasers.
Markskor: Thanks, I'll try to remember that the next time I'm in the area.
Lumbergh, don't listen to Markskor, whose mind is blinded by $45.00 Grand Marnier, you hike your own hike, and look into every one of those ponds- who knows what Markskor has hidden in them? You are onto something, why change a good thing?

p.s. on a serious note, you've just got to drink all of the beer to keep it away from the bears :nod:
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was not a good LNT ambassador as I did not clean up the large campsite at the creek crossing. In case it wasn't clear, the wrappers, feminine hygiene products, shovel, beer, and fireball were all at the same location along with some oatmeal or rice that was at the bottom of the creek pool near the beer. It was the second worst I have ever seen. I only drank one beer and packed out the empty along with some trash and the unopened Fireball. I should have dumped out all of the beer and packed out all of the cans and all of the trash. I may have been a bit selfish not wanting to hike back out with the trash, but there was no way I could have carried it with me until my next planned trailhead and I didn't want to turn around one day in. So, I just packed out what I could fit in my pack/bear canister.