Thunder Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thunder Pass

Post by sekihiker »

Check out a video taken on Thunder Pass/Col in 2003 at: https://youtu.be/S_oRf4xXJpM

It seems like I may have downplayed my experience with Thunder Pass/Col in previous posts in this thread, but, I think I was a little dramatic in the video. I was 58 yo at the time and not in the best shape of my life. I do remember being very tired but I think the altitude could have made my statements a little over the top. I don't see any blood.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I approached Thunder Pass from the south, which was straightforward and the waterfalls and lakes in "Thunder Basin" were beautiful. After exploring all the possible alternate chutes and some lengthy inner discussion I decided the north side was too steep and loose for a solo descent toward a potential cliff. I have since done the SHR, the Whitney MR and XST and would compare the steepness on the north side to the north side of Snow Tongue but without any of the nice ledges. From what I could see at the top it was just a slick loose scree chute that disappeared into what looked like an almost vertical unknown. The most similar Pass that I have done would be the east chute of Darwin Col, but a little steeper and with less medium sized boulders to "ski" down. Having read Sekihiker's TR and done a little more research (and with more experience) I would do it today, but would be more comfortable with a partner on this one. I agree with Sekihiker that a northbound route would probably be more fun.

BTW that YouTube video from Andy D was me.

View looking down the north side:

Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

This is a link to a brief video I took right at the top showing both sides of Thunder Pass.

https://youtu.be/MJqG17RmCJc
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

That's an excellent/accurate pic Bluewater. There is no hidden cliff to worry about, just very loose material. In fact the bottom is considerably easier than the top.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

thegib wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am That's an excellent/accurate pic Bluewater. There is no hidden cliff to worry about, just very loose material. In fact the bottom is considerably easier than the top.
Thanks thegib. I will try it next time :thumbsup: