Let's make a "view bagging" list

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Let's make a "view bagging" list

Post by c9h13no3 »

I've recently noticed that many newbies have a goal of "hiking a trail" (JMT, HST, PCT, whatever). Which is weird. No one comes home and admires pictures of great erosion control or recent brush management. The main reason people go is the scenery. So in order to get people out of the "hike a trail" mindset that causes overcrowding, and to hopefully promote creating new routes to string many of these places together, I believe we should come up with a view bagging list.

Several folks in this forum have already described themselves as view baggers, so this shouldn't be too hard. One of the key features of peak bagging is the plethora of lists out there. Lists are an excellent way to gamify things: You can easily measure your progress. Good lists have achievements of increasing difficulty that allow for growth of your skill & fitness as you work through the list. Ours should be the same. Glacier Point and Mt Goddard both probably have a place on this list. And lists point you to the best experiences.

I think anything from the Sierra Buttes down to maybe Owens Peak should be eligible. But we can debate how much of the Sierra we should include. The list should also be curated. Yes, there are a billion scenic places, we're trying to focus on the best ones. So maybe the 25 best spots is a good place to start.

In order to nominate a place be on the list, you must include a picture. I realize that this gives the edge to people who take good pictures (not me), but they're worth so many words. And when you nominate a place, pick a time of year when the spot is most scenic.

Allow me to go first:
20181013_122112.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Let's make a "view bagging" list

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Your heart is in the right place regarding sharing great Sierra vista points. However it is ironic that one reason you state for this is to "get people out of the hike a trial mindset that causes overcrowding"; a list will simply transfer that overcrowding to another Sierra location. After all people will use trails to get to those locations. Count me out on this one. We already have our Sierra Inspiration thread in the photography sub-forum. I think that is sufficient and does not get into the "list" problem that CREATES overcrowding.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm the "list" problem that CREATES overcrowding.
First of all, it's cute that you think this forum has that power. Second, I've been on several SPS peaks where I saw no one. I did Tower Peak on a Saturday in August, and saw no one after Lane Lake. Your assertion that lists create crowds is wrong.

But that's cool, people are wrong all the time.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I'm inclined to agree with @Wandering Daisy (the world doesn't need more lists) but I will play along with a couple of beautiful locations that have already been discovered by the masses, I say that from the perspective of someone who has only done two trips in the Sierra, but saw the difference in the number of people once I got off the "discovered" path.

Charlotte Lake

Northern Rae Lakes
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

wsp_scott writes:
I'm inclined to agree with @Wandering Daisy (the world doesn't need more lists)
x2

And I don't know C9, I thought there was a growing trend in which when people see a super cool photo image, or video clip, it then can go "viral," and the next thing there are flocks of sheep-like people descending on formerly less occupied places. One example was the big bend in the Green River-- the "Gooseneck"--, and another was the various remote Arches around the Canyonlands, and then that amazing Paria Canyon colorful sandstone spot... I have heard all of these had experienced massive crowds due to folks deciding to go where the photo-vid., or way point was.
I like to share stories, and pics, and guide folks to beautiful places, but I also think the best thing is to explore for yourself, and find your own beauty spots. I hope this won't re-open that stale can of worms we struggled with before, re. the JMT, and Wild. Permit quotas; we have already beaten that poor horse to death.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The most obvious example is "The Wave" which has become a major target for tourists thanks to a not-to-be-mentioned software company...and in the Southwest, the idea of disclosing locations is now very controversial for the impacts such disclosure has.

I'm with Daisy. You are welcome to develop and post a list, but I try pretty darn hard to let people know that every hike has its rewards, and the only way to really find out what they are is to hike the hike and find what it has to offer. You might easily find something that others have missed.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is interesting, C9, that what YOU think is "right" and what others think is "wrong". Yes, we have a difference of opinion, but that does not make either of us "right" or "wrong". It is the middle of winter, the trip reports are far and few between, and your idea on the surface would be a fun thing to do. But with further thought, I decided, for myself, that there were too many unintended consequences. Others here who do not see it this way are free to make your "list". But I simply ask all to give it some thought.

Fishermen have already come to the place where they are tight-lipped about good fishing lakes. No lists there! I think we backpackers would do well to consider similar restraint.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

x3
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Oh, right. "No new people after me". Sorry, I forgot the forum's slogan.

Also, could you all please raise your hands if you've personally made something go viral. Anyone?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 pm It is interesting, C9, that what YOU think is "right" and what others think is "wrong". Yes, we have a difference of opinion, but that does not make either of us "right" or "wrong". It is the middle of winter, the trip reports are far and few between, and your idea on the surface would be a fun thing to do. But with further thought, I decided, for myself, that there were too many unintended consequences. Others here who do not see it this way are free to make your "list". But I simply ask all to give it some thought.

Fishermen have already come to the place where they are tight-lipped about good fishing lakes. No lists there! I think we backpackers would do well to consider similar restraint.
Yeah, we definitely shouldn't promote places we like.

Oops.