Let's make a "view bagging" list

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Let's make a "view bagging" list

Post by Mtncaddis »

I have hiked those crowded and scarred ABC long-trails through the Sierra, one of them multiple times, as well as a handful of lesser known trails and have come to love this mountain range such that the idea of creating a ranked public check list of back country viewsites makes me cringe. Though the request to create this list likely comes from a good place, it is far too risky and borderline irresponsible in today's age of photo sharing GPS enabled pocket computers. Through trip reports and photos shared here on this website, and through books and maps I have purchased, I've come up with quite a list of additional places I look forward to visiting, and maybe even finding no-one there but my old pal solitude.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

To be fair, I don't think I ever advocated that things be ranked. The various peak bagging lists aren't ranked.

But clearly I'm in the minority here. It's amazing to me how isolationist & elitist hikers can be compared to mountain bikers, climbers, skiers, equestrians, ect. But I'm not going to change the whole forum's mind.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Soldanella flower in another range. Definitely one of my favorite views of the trip was through a macro lens; enjoying this mind-blowing little 3" flower. And I never knew this view was coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

This is a good list. Off trail, no crowds, great views. What's not to like??

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... m.php?f=31
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

The only problem I can see is if everyone is talking about the same places. It turns out the guidebooks have taken care of a lot of that for us. Has anyone NEVER heard about the John Muir Trail, the Rae Lakes Loop, or the High Sierra Trail? Seems like it's routes like those that have the most traffic.

What's a half mile on either side of those? Solitude.

The more remote areas take care of themselves by, uh, being remote.

One solution is to overwhelm folks with all the different possibilities.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

No opinion on the OT, but I will say that few have direct knowledge of what traffic this site generates from search or on social media. I do, and it might be a little different than one might think. Apples and oranges anyway regarding Backpacker. That site is international and many members are members strictly because they subscribe to the magazine. This site is internet only and is tailored to one range in one state of one country (and is more specific to backpacking than all sports to boot). Also with few exceptions HST is open to viewership from non-members. Many of us have plenty of stories of on more than just a couple of occasions running into people in the Sierra whom have gleamed info from this site, member or not. And those are just the non-isolationists/whatever they may be whom enjoy talking to people on the trail. This site does have an impact. It's not obscure in trip planning searching of the internet. Twitter? Facebook? Like and re-tweet/post without link following represents 90% of the analytics. Ask Backpacker.

Let's move on to the OT, or the thread will be locked. I grow tired of the off-season bickering I keep seeing around here. I've always felt that on the whole HST members are above the passive aggressive internet warrior mentality you see on most message boards. Let's keep it that way, please.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Won't post in this thread beyond pointing to a link below for an actual photography enthusiast site where one can read where sentiments reside. Pretty much just like on fishing web forums where people readily share information about known fishing spots but clam up when the subject is out of public awareness lakes with larger fish.

https://groups.io/g/calphoto/topic/40800056#21865

Enjoy the hunt, you'll get some exercise:

zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

The South side of the trail to Black Rock Pass was one of my favorite views this year. I like rocks so I may be biased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

I would think that there is already a view bagging list named the Sierra Inspiration Photothon
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

Too many choices, but this is among the best. Thousand Island Lake

Time of year? Sunrise!