Early Season HST 2020.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Early Season HST 2020.

Post by creekfeet »

As mentioned before there was a thread begun by "dustybottoms21" last year that turned into this insane, sprawling thread that turned into 10+ pages of great recommendations and doable early season routes. It's available here:

viewtopic.php?t=19072

Since you seem amenable to non-Sierra locales, one place I'd recommend looking into is the Trinity Alps in Northern California. The range is gorgeous and similar to the Sierra with gobs of alpine lakes and glacially carved features. However, it tops out at 9,000 feet so much of it is easily accessible early in the season.

On another note, does anyone know whether a trail crew ever got up on the blowout in Hamilton Gorge? I didn't think the crossing was too bad last year, but I know it turned some folks around, and certainly wouldn't be fun to deal with in the snow.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

creekfeet wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:53 pm
On another note, does anyone know whether a trail crew ever got up on the blowout in Hamilton Gorge? I didn't think the crossing was too bad last year, but I know it turned some folks around, and certainly wouldn't be fun to deal with in the snow.
Yes, the blowout above Hamilton Lake was repaired at the end of Sept. 2019. It was announced on the SEKI website back then.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras »

Following up on this.

Thanks again for all the replies.

We have decided to pull HST permits and decide closer to the date if the winter was mild enough to go. It's looking on the fence but assuming we won't be going. A few of the posts here rightfully snapped me and my co-conspirator out of any delusions.

Instead I have been researching and mapping out options in the Golden Trout Wilderness. Cottonwood, Siberian (if possible), and down through Rocky basin as a loop based on recommendations here. Looks perfect for us and due to the altitude, hoping it will be passable with a few potentially sketchy trail crossings.

I've also mapped out the Grand canyon of Tuolomne loop or potentially just half of the route and maybe we can squeeze both that and Golden Trout area in. This assumed the Tioga is open.

All seem like great options. Thanks again for your help and open to further input on these options.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just a comment about Trinity Alps, for others who are looking for early season trips. Although much lower in elevation, northern California gets a lot more snow in some years, and does not necessarily open up earlier. I have done two early season trips (4th July weekend) and was stopped by snow on both.

Grand Canyon Tuolumne would be great. I am not sure they have the bridge at Pate Valley fixed; if not you would need to do an in-and-out from Tuolumne Meadows. I did that a few years ago, and it really is a great trip. I would not be concerned about repeating the route on the way out- it is like an entirely new trip coming back. Just camp at different locations.

Also consider high water and whether there are bridges across major streams. Last year I had to turn back in Emigrant Wilderness due to unsafe river crossings.

If you do not mind crowds, there are fine loop routes you can do from Yosemite Valley. It does take some creative logistics due to the requirement to get a new permit if you come back down to the valley.

And on an entirely different note, the entire Lost Coast (about 60 miles) is a great adventure. I have done it in 8 days, but it can be done in 6 or 7. Few people do the entire route. The north half is tide-dependent beach walking to Shelter Cove; the south half is coastal jungle up high in the hills with ocean views, wildflowers, wonderful wildlife sightings (elk, bear, seals), from Shelter Cove to Ousel Campground, or you can walk the 4wd road all the way to Hwy1. Lost Coast has become popular, so you need to get permits in early now, especially for the northern section (26 miles) on BLM.

But, it is quite possible that there will be an early melt this year, making late June more like late 2019 July.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

This is Kaweah gap on August 6 of a wet year--2017, and the path around Precipice Lake. The gap in Hamilton gorge and Kaweah gap had just become passable for general use the prior week, although with the right equipment and know-how people did get over it much earlier. As you can see, it was still challenging in August. I had to walk across an ice bridge about 10' high with sheer drops on both sides of the bridge--for over a hundred feet. I am notoriously conservative and a fraidy cat about risk taking, but I managed it--just. One week earlier the gap in Hamilton gorge was still iced in--the flow of ice keeps replenishing itself in there as it slides down the gorge from above. And one week earlier I could not have gotten around Precipice and the gap above it without the willingness to to take more risks. Traction equipment was essential.

The ice in the Gap had damned up water, by the way, creating deep ponds over the trail and forcing hikers to scramble around them with some light rock climbing on the sides of the canyon.

I managed the stream crossings below Lake Hamilton OK and in the Big Arroyo, but I would not have wanted them to be any higher than they were. They were pushing my limits.

I think this year is shaping up to be a little below normal. So my guess is that the conditions in these photos will probably be realized 5-6 weeks earlier this year--perhaps by the last week of June. But certainly not by early June.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Regarding the "Hamilton Gorge to Kaweah Gap" segment, I passed that way Aug 10, 2017 (five days after kpeter); though conditions were improved by a surprising degree from what he experienced, I would agree with his assessment that it will NOT be easily passable (for the average hiker) in early June.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Yesterday's entries by kpeter and grampy were appreciated, giving an idea how conditions played out on the HST in early August 2017. Due to these conditions, in 2017 I pushed my HST hike back six weeks (enter at Crescent Meadow August 29, exit at Whitney Portal September 1).

In my January 20 entry on this topic, I suggested extra caution is often needed if starting the HST in the Spring-Summer shoulder season (aka transition period). Well, in 2017 it turned out that I likely pushed back my hike into the early part of the Summer-Fall transition period. In a trip recap to a friend in September 2017 I noted-

" End of Day 2: I joined a small gathering at the hot springs and a roaring camp fire under clear skies.

Day 3: Followed the Kern River 8 miles upstream, then ascended east out of the Canyon to join the John Muir Trail. Hastily made camp above Timberline Lake as ominous clouds formed...Wind, lightning, hail and snow engulfed the evening.

Day 4: Summiting Mt Whitney UNEXPECTEDLY INVOLVED HIKING THROUGH 6 MILES OF FRESH SNOW. Descending the Main Trail to Whitney Portal revealed much erosion damage to the trail from the previous evening's storm, a signal that the seasons were perhaps entering the transition period."

So, do not start too early in the season. But do not push the trip back too much. Of course, this is easier said than done, unless one has access to a crystal ball!

Jim
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

The Caltopo high-res satellite snow map is indeed awesome. A couple more links for you:

Facebook High Sierra Trail group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HighSierraTrail/ Start checking it in May to track conditions—better than the NPS site.

Facebook Sierra Nevada Current Conditions group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1578540459102320 More general Sierra conditions.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras »

kpeter wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm This is Kaweah gap on August 6 of a wet year--2017, and the path around Precipice Lake. The gap in Hamilton gorge and Kaweah gap had just become passable for general use the prior week, although with the right equipment and know-how people did get over it much earlier. As you can see, it was still challenging in August. I had to walk across an ice bridge about 10' high with sheer drops on both sides of the bridge--for over a hundred feet. I am notoriously conservative and a fraidy cat about risk taking, but I managed it--just. One week earlier the gap in Hamilton gorge was still iced in--the flow of ice keeps replenishing itself in there as it slides down the gorge from above. And one week earlier I could not have gotten around Precipice and the gap above it without the willingness to to take more risks. Traction equipment was essential.

The ice in the Gap had damned up water, by the way, creating deep ponds over the trail and forcing hikers to scramble around them with some light rock climbing on the sides of the canyon.

I managed the stream crossings below Lake Hamilton OK and in the Big Arroyo, but I would not have wanted them to be any higher than they were. They were pushing my limits.

I think this year is shaping up to be a little below normal. So my guess is that the conditions in these photos will probably be realized 5-6 weeks earlier this year--perhaps by the last week of June. But certainly not by early June.

Incredible images. Thanks for that.

Yeah, as mentioned above, unless something crazy happens and conditions permit, we won't be going the trail. But it's worth the $15 to pull the permits anyways.

I expect we will be in the Golden Trout Wilderness with a possible last minute change to Tuolomne if the pass is open
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hurricaniac »

Be aware that if you go to GCT, the bridge at Pate Valley was pretty much gone in 2018, I haven't heard if it's been rebuilt. Unless this year is really low snow pack and melts off early, there will be a LOT of water coursing thru there making wading pretty much impossible. Then you have to turn around and the exits either direction are punishing.