Big McGee Lake to Cotton Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Big McGee Lake to Cotton Lake

Post by d_silva1 »

Can anyone give me information on the route and/or difficulty of hiking cross country from Big McGee Lake to Cotton Lake? Wondering what the best/easiest route is. We are very experienced crosscountry/off tail hikers, but a bit old (70 now) and wonder about the difficulty of this route when carrying backpacks (light weight). Any information appreciated.

Thanks.

David
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big McGee Lake to Cotton Lake

Post by wildhiker »

I don't know how you would get from Big McGee Lake to Cotton Lake via a cross-country route, except something very circuitous through the drainages of Mono Creek. The hike on the trail over McGee Pass is direct - why not just do that?
-Phil
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Thanks. You mean: there is a trail from McGee Pass to Cotton Lake? I did not realize this. I'll check the map better.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

There’s not a trail specifically to Cotton Lake. To get to Cotton Lake, follow the McGee Pass trail down to the junction with the side trail to Tully Lake, which is at the Tully outlet creek crossing. Some maps show this trail and some don't, but last time I was there in 2017, there was a sign there for Tully Lake. From the trail to Tully, pick a place to climb southwest up the small ridge to the beautiful small basin that includes Cotton Lake, which sits below peak 11,409. There are a couple of great campsites at the north end of Cotton.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted

Post by d_silva1 »

Thank you! I'll check the map.