SEKI Permit Issue

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI Permit Issue

Post by oddtiger »

I just received my permit (submitted 12:01am on March 1st). They are still working on this I guess. The permit is for my July-4th trip. Hopefully they will re-open the park by then.
GBDGBD
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by GBDGBD »

Just to follow up, I got my email confirmation today that I have a reservation for a wilderness permit for late July. I hope things will have settled down by then but I have a feeling it won't be. Our group was planning on spending two nights at Lodgepole Campground before the backpacking trip. We will probably skip that to reduce the exposure - just drive straight to the trailhead, backpack and get home.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

According to SEKI, although the park is closed, the Wilderness Permit Office is still processing requests--but between the technical difficulties and COVID, it must be a headache. I hope they're all staying safe.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

GBDGBD wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm Our group was planning on spending two nights at Lodgepole Campground before the backpacking trip. We will probably skip that to reduce the exposure - just drive straight to the trailhead, backpack and get home.
I have a reservation for the Sentinel campground at Cedar Grove for our night before. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and keep hoping that the world doesn't end.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks to the rangers at SEKI - I just received my permit acceptance email for Late August. They are still hard at work processing permits.

I sure hope things are back to normal then!! But this was real spirit lifter, because I think late August is far enough away that I can get my hopes up!

I hope all the HST members are doing well and staying safe. We are all doing our part by staying inside. But, buy I sure would enjoy a night at an Alpine like with a killer sunset.....

For those still waiting... here is a glimmer of hope for you: I submitted email application as the clock struck 12:01 AM on 3/1. My initial acknowledgement came back at 12:49 AM along with the erroneous email everyone else received too.

-David
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Like David, I just received my confirmation yesterday that I received a permit for late August. I applied after midnight on March 1. It was a real mood booster. I'm holding on to thoughts of the mountains to get me through this strange and trying time.