TR: SHR, cartridge pass & 60 lakes basin, 8/31-9/7 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: SHR, cartridge pass & 60 lakes basin, 8/31-9/7 2019

Post by frozenintime »

this was -- i think? -- my favorite trip yet.

the full report is here if you care to look at 5,000 likely unnecessary photos: https://badmountain.org/sierra-high-route-final

here's a brief summary and some photos if you don't:

our route started at roads end and followed the high route to lake basin, then veered off to cartridge pass, the JMT south to 60 lakes basin (via basin notch), then the JMT and bubbs creek back to roads end. 

if i did it again, i might look to skip the final JMT/bubbs section and instead go from 60 lakes to gardiner basin and gardiner pass, then endure the (possibly horrible) bushwack down charlotte creek to the bubbs trail and on to roads end. better yet, i might reverse the whole route (i.e. start with the charlotte bushwack headed uphill and end with the red/white/grey high route section back to roads end).

i found this section of the high route to be sublime. virtually every moment from grouse lake to lake basin was stunning. it was too much to take in.

i was surprised to see how much of the high route is clearly use trail'd. perhaps some of those sections are remnants from the huge 1930's sierra club expedition that roper mentions -- i'd imagine that the switchbacks down the final chute to marion are their handiwork? but some of the use trails look more like herd paths from what i'd assume is increased usage over the last decade. that said, we only saw two other people during our time on the high route section (and nobody in the cartridge and 60 lakes area besides a scientist stationed in 60 lakes).

despite spending about 30 nights in the high sierra prior, this was my first trip during a storm cycle -- which made for far better photos as well as a couple gut checks on what felt safe.

this was my second time to "cartridge lake," one of my favorite places in the sierra. despite this being my second time there, we somehow lost the old trail between cartridge pass and the lake AGAIN and spent a good 15 minutes horribly hung up in that terrain. i'm not sure what my problem is up there.

has anyone else camped at twin lakes (beneath mt cedric wright)? i've never seen so much horse poop! truly foul. 

morning at state lakes

ok view near gray pass

lake 10,236

between red and white pass

everyone's favorite chute leading to...

...marion lake

cartridge lake (and a sliver of bench lake) from near cartridge pass

:)

the wonderland south of pinchot

morning in 60 lakes basin
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: SHR, cartridge pass & 60 lakes basin, 8/31-9/7 2019

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Great photos! Especially at the link you gave. Your perseverance through the repeated rounds of T-storms comes through in the narrative...but I bet it was emotionally tough in the moment.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

@frozenintime Congratulations on those incredible photos! Storms can be tough in the Sierra, but I agree they make for better photos.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

yes it was a little creepy! mostly because i had no experience to draw on, so my (hopefully) reliable risk tolerance needle was just flashing a big question mark over and over. i found it especially confusing at the base of passes, where half of your view of the sky is essentially erased at the very moment you might really like to have it. as with everything in the sierra, it was another good reminder of just how small we are!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What wonderful photos! Your full report was not tedious at all to read. It looks like late season 2019 was wet enough to avoid that "tired" late season dry look that is common.

I too like "Cartridge Lakes"; it also has good fishing. I have never camped at Marion Lake, always going farther to the next lake, primarily for the good fishing. Now that I have seen your great photos, I need to camp at Marion! did you see the memorial plaque? It was very well done. These kinds of additions in the wilderness are OK with me, because they are few and far between and have historical significance. By the way, on that descent to Marion Lake, I was knocked off balance by a tree branch and tumbled down the steep slope, nearly landing into the water, ending up with several bruises and getting my camera ruined with dirt and sand.

I did a thru-hike of all the HSR in 2010 and there were use-trails but not very obvious. I think the popularization of the route since has really had a big impact. I had also done most of the route in bits and pieces before 2010 and even noticed then, more use-trails and particularly new cairns. It has only gotten more impacted. Loved to death, so to speak. Future users, please, do not put up cairns!

I have always wanted to descend the Muro Blanco after doing this section of the HSR. Late season is best because evidently you have to walk in the stream most of the way. Has anyone here done that?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 pmI have always wanted to descend the Muro Blanco after doing this section of the HSR. Late season is best because evidently you have to walk in the stream most of the way. Has anyone here done that?
Alpine Mike & Rogue have done it, and it's not something I've added to my list :P
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

thanks WD. i definitely liked marion. the sites are well sheltered and the lake itself is extraordinary.
i'd also be curious to check out the mini-basin southeast of the lake if i had more time.

sorry to hear about your fall down the chute!
when we got down to lake level we noticed what looked like a friendlier route just to the west. it looks to be quite a bit less steep. i'm not sure how easily it connects to the main use trail down from red pass, though. i'd imagine there's a reason everyone uses the steep one, but from where we stood it looked a bit better.

hard to tell the difference in pitch in a photo, but here is a photo anyway. the left chute is what we (and i assume most people) use and the right side is the less steep one:
shr60faves - 63-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Post by ofuros »

Enjoyable trip report & pics, frozenintime. :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

[/quote]Alpine Mike & Rogue have done it, and it's not something I've added to my list :P
[/quote]

That video by Rogue was amusing but not something I'd watch with young kids. :lol:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Muro Blanco is one of the routes in Arnot's guidebook (as is Enchanted Gorge, which I have done and Tehipite Valley, which I have not done). Arnot says that in late season you can stay right in the stream on boulders half the route. Shrubs start at 8000 feet, and Arnot states there is "occasional bushwhacking". He says the route is "humbling". Also says it could be done in 1-2 days. Given his account, I would think there would be stretches of misery too. Given the mosquitoes (head nets) on Rogue and Alpine Mike, I suspect they did not do it late season in a dry year, less than optimal conditions. I was looking for a few other opinions. Still on the fence about doing it; late Sept or Oct this year may have optimal conditions.

I have done several masochistic routes in my life, just curious if this one should be added to the list. What would add misery (more than described by Arnot) would be any recent deadfall due to bark beetle kill and drought kill of the tress since Arnot did it in the 70's or 80's. Since my most masochistic route was 12 miles in 6 days (northern Rockies), I suspect Muro Blanco would be easier than that!