Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

Post by gary c. »

rightstar76 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 am Took a bit of time researching the home and forest alert pages to figure this one out. For Eastern Sierra, most Inyo NF campsites are still closed. It's unclear whether Kennedy Meadows (south) and Fish Creek campsites are open. Sequoia NF which administers the portion of Inyo NF in Kennedy Meadows area does not list Kennedy Meadows (south) and Fish Creek campsites on the forest alert closure list. But it shows them closed on the forest campsite web pages. As for the rest of Sequoia NF, most campsites remain closed: Forest Orders No. 20-10, 20-11, and 20-12. Trailheads and hiking trails are open, but wilderness permits are currently not being issued.
A friend of mine called the FS in Kernville yesterday and was told the same openings that I listed above and was also told that the Horse Meadow CG is open. They also told him that the road is now open to Monanche Meadows and the Blackrock TH.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras »

Just received these two replies from the Inyo NFS:

1) The forest is open for day hiking. Wilderness permits have cancelled through May 31 so overnight hiking is not permitted. We are working on a plan with some software changes that will allow us to issue permits with a phone call check in to avoid people congregating in large lines at our visitor centers. Hopefully we will have the details of how this will actually work soon. We hope to resume issuing permits for backpacking trips in early June.
Thank you for your patience while we all work through this issue.

AND

2) Right now, its (Horseshoe Meadow Rd) closed at the forest boundary-- so higher upon the road.

Most of which we knew and I think the intentional ambiguity continues in an effort to minimize traffic on opening day June 1. But that's just my opinion. Seems to be following the SEKI plan just with less clarity. Interesting for GTW since it sits in Inyo and SNF

Anyone know about how far up "Forest boundary" gate is on horseshoe meadow Rd?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

From the Sequoia NFS site.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/ ... ev3_059517

2020 Golden Trout Wilderness Permits - Under current circumstances with COVID-19, the Sequoia National Forest will offer wilderness permits virtually through our website for travel dates after June 15, 2020.

1.Print and completely fill out the Application for a Wilderness Visitor's Permit

2.Scan and email your completed application to the Sequoia National Forest to SM.FS.SequoiaNF@usda.gov

3.Within a day or two, you will receive a response to your email, confirming receipt of your application. Your hard copy application will then take the place of your permit for overnight stay in the Golden Trout Wilderness on the Sequoia National Forest.

Keep a copy with you and share the information with someone at home to anticipate your safe return. The Forest Service will keep an electronic copy of your application on file just in case, and for our records. It is your responsibility to monitor conditions and fire restrictions and provide for your own safety. Current road conditions and fire restrictions will be posted on this website throughout the summer.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Some of us do not enter the Golden Trout Wilderness through the Sequoia NFS side. We enter through Inyo NFS. The rules are probably different.
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Anyone know about how far up "Forest boundary" gate is on horseshoe meadow Rd?
The gate is just beyond Carol Creek. Where the lilac farm is. 6000 ft alt.
-mort
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

gary c. wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 am
rightstar76 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 am Took a bit of time researching the home and forest alert pages to figure this one out. For Eastern Sierra, most Inyo NF campsites are still closed. It's unclear whether Kennedy Meadows (south) and Fish Creek campsites are open. Sequoia NF which administers the portion of Inyo NF in Kennedy Meadows area does not list Kennedy Meadows (south) and Fish Creek campsites on the forest alert closure list. But it shows them closed on the forest campsite web pages. As for the rest of Sequoia NF, most campsites remain closed: Forest Orders No. 20-10, 20-11, and 20-12. Trailheads and hiking trails are open, but wilderness permits are currently not being issued.
A friend of mine called the FS in Kernville yesterday and was told the same openings that I listed above and was also told that the Horse Meadow CG is open. They also told him that the road is now open to Monanche Meadows and the Blackrock TH.
I'm hoping to do a loop out of Jerkey Meadow next weekend. Good to hear that Blackrock is open as that would be a good alternate entry.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F14Rainman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by F14Rainman »

Tuesday I made a request for my 2020 extravaganza leaving out of the Lakes trail in Sequoia and it was just approved this morning. A few items of note to help others:

The Lakes trail is not currently listed on the webpage that shows which dates on which trails are already full.

On the permit form where you put your preferred trail entry, you want Pear Lake, Pear Lake pass through, or Emerald Lake. The Lakes trail is not an option.

Methinks that because the Lakes trail is usually not available except through walk ins that their documentation has not caught up. On the availability page the HST and Alta trails are almost all completely filled up for July and August. So right now the Lakes trail option may be fairly open for those who are looking for an open entry point.

My 10 day plan is as follows. I got a Pear lake passthrough permit, so I will head in and stay in the lower table lands day 1, then upper table lands over looking Big Bird Lake on night 2. Day 3 I will head over Pterodactyl Pass, Horn Col, and then Coppermine Pass and Camps somewhere in Cloud Canyon near the Colby Pass trail. Day 4 up and over Colby Pass and camp near Gallats Lake. Day 5 I will head up to Picket Guard Lake, Day 6 into Kaweah Basin, day 7 back to Picket Guard Lake. Day 8 the slog down into and up out of the Kern Trench via the Colby Pass trail and the HST, and camp in the Wright Lakes Basin. Day 9 over the pass out of Wright Lakes Basin to meet up with the Shepherd Pass trail, camping somewhere around the Pothole or Anvil Camp. Day 10 up early to get down to the trailhead before the heat hits hard.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Inyo National Forest Provides Wilderness Permits Virtually, Effective June 1, except Mt. Whitney

Starting on June 1, the Inyo National Forest will be providing wilderness permits through a virtual process.

People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center.

The remaining “walk up” permits will be reserved through www.recreation.gov starting up to 14 days in advance of the date of a wilderness trip.

The Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association staff will sell maps, rent bear canisters, and other products under a modified operation. Visitors are highly encouraged to purchase products online in advance of their visit at https://sierraforever.org/.

Visitors who reserve a permit will need to check by phone to receive their permit and the wilderness orientation, which will include:

Food storage/ bear can use

Campfire restrictions

Human waste disposal

Campsite selection

Pack it in, pack it out/ Leave No Trace

Specific guidance if their itinerary enters Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks or Yosemite National Park.

The exception to this is Mt. Whitney day and overnight permits, which are being cancelled one week in advance of the hiking start day. Please see Inyo County guidance. Mt. Whitney is a high use trail and where rescues and recoveries are common. Whitney Portal Road remains closed at the lower gate.

People who have been awarded a permit reservation for Mt. Whitney on the Inyo National Forest will receive a notice from recreation.gov that notifies them that their reservation has been cancelled and a refund have been issued. There is no action required from you at this time. The credit card used to make the original reservation will be refunded.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Many thanks, schmalz
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Seems like the earliest you might be able to camp in GTW is on the INF portion provided INF starts issuing permits on June 1. Probably the thinking is that most hikers entering from INF will camp in the Tunnel and Big Whitney meadows area.