Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cdevine
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

Post by cdevine »

Thanks for the help! I didn't see the # of guess drop down.
? the group. What does the snow situation look like late june? This year was a lot like 2018. (a little less though). I was able to get to most high sierra places that year in late june and early july. Last year it was a later July (early aug) situation.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Here's the official announcement:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 739146.pdf
Inyo National Forest extends Closure of Developed Recreation Sites

The Inyo National Forest announced that most developed recreation sites will remain closed through June 30. The closure can be rescinded as needed.

The order does not close trails, trailheads, and general forest areas, which remain open for public use.

The forest closure includes visitor centers, campgrounds, picnic areas, and day use areas and their facilities (restrooms, water and trash services). While trailheads remain open, restrooms, water, and trash services will not be available.

South Tufa (Mono Lake), Convict Lake, Hot Creek, and June Beach Day Use areas are closed.

The value of nature to promote mental and physical health comes at a time when access is vital to the American public. We are working diligently to reopen developed recreation areas for full access and ask that visitors be patient during this transition period. Be prepared for other options if your developed recreation area is closed, and whenever possible, recreate locally.

If you do plan on visiting the Inyo National Forest, please be aware that:

No trash removal is currently offered – please pack out all trash and waste
All toilet facilities are currently closed – please plan accordingly
Avoid high-risk activities – law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited
If an area is crowded, please search for a less occupied location

The safety of our employees and the public will continue to be our number one priority as we closely monitor the situation and implement changes accordingly.
I haven't received a cancellation notice yet.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Exactly what does that mean for backpacking? If one can backpack, how does one get a permit if permits are being cancelled?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

As far as I can tell, the _early_ backpacking reservations were cancelled. I guess the authorities didn't want people in there anyway. I have a reservation in August, and it is still valid.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by RSC »

Yes, I have two Inyo reservations for August which are still valid. We'll see what happens when I go to pick up the actual permits.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

All they have to do to make the current system work is declare reservations to be valid permits.
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtncaddis »

jmherrell wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 pm All they have to do to make the current system work is declare reservations to be valid permits.
I really like his idea and hope it gets considered by the decision makers. It's simple, efficient and safe.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agreed! no more speeches pre-permit for those with a history of permits/trips.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

OK, how would one then get a first-come permit now? If permits are not given, then the trails are really not open to backpackers.

The older fellow at the Mono Lake Visitor Center who wrote my first-come permits for years recognized me and never gave me the "speech". If in-person first come permits are eliminated I will dearly miss that fellow. I always used to stop there to get my permit because it was logistically handy since I usually reached it just at the right time; between 10 and 11 AM on my way to Bishop area.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

BTW Zion gives you the speech with online reservations. You have to check each statement of the "speech". It takes a long time to fill out.