Trip planning: Red Mountain Basin & Martha Lake in July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip planning: Red Mountain Basin & Martha Lake in July

Post by jmherrell »

The history of the naming makes some sense but it was still a poor way to choose names. Supposedly Joseph LeConte had a lot of trouble getting his horses/stock over the pass that inspired that name. Some disappointed fishermen gave the lake its name, nothing to do with the view.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Thanks much. That is fascinating. A couple years ago, I hiked from Martha over to Dale Lk. That last mile up over the pass had my lungs screaming.
CarlRaillard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CarlRaillard »

Hello, again.

I think Sekihiker is correct, it's all relative. I hiked over the pass from east to west, but I did it in two stages. Beginning from Martha Lake I got a late start in the morning, and then moseyed up the Hell For Sure Trail, and finally stopped at an informal but scenic camping spot located at the 10700 elevation (approximately). I recall that the trail was poorly maintained,and yet it was quite easy to follow. I found it delightful.

Side Note: The previous day I climbed Mount Goddard, so my lungs had a good scream during that effort. Furthermore, if you are like me, and if you enjoy a little sunlight in the morning, to dry off the frost on the sleeping bag, and to warm your fingers and toes, then you won't want to camp at Martha Lake. It's a grand lake -- in a wide-open tundra sort of way -- but it sits directly in Goddard's morning shadow. "Will the sun EVER rise?" is a question you shall ask yourself repeatedly, as the morning wears on.

Okay, back to Hell. From my high camp it was only a 600 ft. climb to the pass. A side jaunt to Red Mountain, a well-named peak, was added, to round off the day's work. David Husted has some great pictures from that mountain.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1 ... 0-h1440-pd

I ought to write about a natural spring of fresh water, that was partially frozen, which I encountered on the way up to Hell for Sure Pass. It was weird. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

Sincerely,
Carl Raillard
Fun drawings of wild country.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I ought to write about a natural spring of fresh water, that was partially frozen, which I encountered on the way up to Hell for Sure Pass. It was weird. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.
That spring has the best water I've ever tasted. Swift flowing, cold, and just the right balance of minerals.
CarlRaillard
Topix Acquainted

Post by CarlRaillard »

Mike M. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 pm
That spring has the best water I've ever tasted. Swift flowing, cold, and just the right balance of minerals.
You know it? I'm glad! I just wrote a little report about this very spring, which I've posted on the Natural History Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20519
If the water is gushing out of the ground -- like it's under pressure? -- maybe it is some sort of artesian spring. When I saw it (shortly after dawn on a crisp autumn morning) the spring had built itself up into a strange terraced ziggurat, made of ice. An ice castle as large as a big sand castle.

Sincerely,
Carl Raillard
Fun drawings of wild country.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

I have my revised itinerary laid out for my trip, but I have one more question. I will likely spend my Night 3 at Disappointment Lake, and would like (on Day 4) to visit Horseshoe and Blackrock Lake(s) before heading toward the “Shot” Lakes and Devil’s Punchbowl. Is following this general route (see image) ... planned route in red and blue ... a reasonable plan, or am I missing something ? BTW, the “orange” route is a possible out-and-back day hike on Day 2 (AFTER dropping my stuff and setting up camp at D. Lake).

Thanks !

ImageUntitled
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Traveling in the areas you have chosen is easy cross-country. It's where I taught my daughter how to get around on her own off trail. Plenty of landmarks and easy terrain.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Thanks, Bill !
I had read your trip report and previous comments on RMB. I felt a little dumb about asking the question, but felt I might feel a little dumber if it turned out that I should have asked (but didn’t).
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

grampy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:20 pm Thanks, Bill !
I had read your trip report and previous comments on RMB. I felt a little dumb about asking the question, but felt I might feel a little dumber if it turned out that I should have asked (but didn’t).
Better safe than sorry.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

That route looks like it will work. I hiked from the west end of Disappointment Lake to the top of point 10552 before continuing on to Blackrock. A lot of extra elevation but the views were nice. I came back twice, once from Blackrock and once from Horseshoe and generally followed the inlet stream that descends from the pond east of 10552. Pretty meadows there, but wet and not easy to cross. We always returned around the east end of Disappointment. The most obvious camps at Disappointment are at the NE end, just west of the NE inlet. Nice tree cover and flat spots for tents, but the area most likely to become crowded if others arrive.

The only caution I would mention is when you cut around from Blackrock to Big Shot Lake. We tried to follow the outlet from Blackrock down but it eventually cliffs out. Lots of nice cascades along the way before that, though. To reach Big Shot from Blackrock you need to contour relatively high and do a short stretch of talus hopping. The optimal route brings you into the NE corner of Big Shot. Be sure to explore the east shore of Big Shot and cross the inlet stream. A magical place.