HST denied. Golden trout ideas?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras »

I started this thread here a few months back hoping to complete HST early season this year before the baby comes. Alas it was not to be. Covid-19, April Snow, and... Well... Permit got denied though they offered June 3rd instead, it's just not the right time.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=20310

But I digress, we are very excited about doing the Golden trout Wilderness and as of now basically planning on doing the route recommended here:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=19609

However, I think if conditions permit, we'd like to consider a summit of either Langley or Pickering and now I'm really torn over which route to take and which direction to go. And I could use some clarification on the difference between New Army and Old Army as maps seemed to have removed old army labeling and simply reference Army.

Here's what I would like the trip to include:

First night to acclimate at Horseshoe Meadows (possibly chicken springs lake instead if we decide to go to Langley or Army pass first.

-Fly fishing the Golden trout. Possibly Tunnel meadow area where the South fork and GTC almost meet up.

-Rocky Basin Lakes

-Sky Blue or Soldier lake

-Summit Langley OR Pickering if possible.

Open to recommendations or any other thoughts around the trip. Ideally it includes summit, scenic lakes, and fly fishing. Departure is end of June 1.

Also info or thoughts on what permits to pull (difference between Cottonwood trail vs pass? And how difficult you'd anticipate them to be during these times.

TIA!

Also, of course I understand that it's possible that no established campgrounds will be open it accessible and I'm open to thoughts and opinions on this too but for the sake of my desire to plan something, I'm hoping mostly for logistical planning information and assuming the trailhead is open by then
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: HST denied. Golden trout ideas?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Old Army pass is a known slide-for-life problem with snow, probably also have to hack through a cornice if you're the first one through. Not recommended early season. New Army isn't without issues either, but people do manage it with ice axe and crampons. If you're heading up to Miter Basin from Cottonwood Pass, why don't you just hike it from the west?

This year is about a month earlier than 2019. So the trip you posted in late June would probably be good in early June of this year.

Good luck getting a wilderness permit, I hope they're issuing them by June. But you're going to want a back up plan in the area that doesn't require permits or open facilities.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

Thanks for that. Yeah, would rather avoid any "slide for life" activities.

Any other thoughts on this?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

BaneSierras wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:23 am Thanks for that. Yeah, would rather avoid any "slide for life" activities.

Any other thoughts on this?
Might want to have it moved to the main forum. The mods of this site have far too many sub-forums, so threads in low traffic sub forums like this one tend to die with few replies.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

Ha! I had no idea I was in a sub forum. Thanks!
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

Sorry for double post. Didn't realize I posted this in the 101 sub forum previously. Will delete double in 101 sub forum.

Post copied:

I had this active thread here a few months back hoping to complete HST early season this year before the baby comes. Alas it was not to be. Covid-19, April Snow, and... Well... Permit got denied though they offered June 3rd instead, it's just not the right time.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... hp?t=20310

But I digress, we are very excited about doing the Golden trout Wilderness and as of now basically planning on doing the route recommended here:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... hp?t=19609

However, I think if conditions permit, we'd like to consider a summit of either Langley or Pickering and now I'm really torn over which route to take and which direction to go. And I could use some clarification on the difference between New Army and Old Army as maps seemed to have removed old army labeling and simply reference Army.

Here's what I would like the trip to include:

First night to acclimate at Horseshoe Meadows (possibly chicken springs lake instead if we decide to go to Langley or Army pass first.

-Fly fishing the Golden trout. Possibly Tunnel meadow area where the South fork and GTC almost meet up.

-Rocky Basin Lakes

-Sky Blue or Soldier lake

-Summit Langley OR Pickering if possible.

Open to recommendations or any other thoughts around the trip. Ideally it includes summit, scenic lakes, and fly fishing. Departure is end of June 1.

Also info or thoughts on what permits to pull (difference between Cottonwood trail vs pass? And how difficult you'd anticipate them to be during these times.

TIA!

Also, of course I understand that it's possible that no established campgrounds will be open it accessible and I'm open to thoughts and opinions on this too but for the sake of my desire to plan something, I'm hoping mostly for logistical planning information and assuming the trailhead is open by then
Last edited by BaneSierras on Tue May 05, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Old Army Pass (also called simply Army Pass) was the original trail through there. However, most of it is north-facing, so it gets a good winter snowpack and then holds it through the summer. After a while, they built New Army Pass which is south-facing, so the snow melts off earlier except for maybe one cornice at the top.

I've done both. Old Army Pass isn't so bad if the snow has melted off, but it is still loose in spots since it is unmaintained.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Last edited by grampy on Tue May 05, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was not clear on the date of your planned trip, but if June 3 is the date is too early. I went into Sky Blue Lake July4th years ago and it was very snowy; Sky Blue Lake was still partially frozen. The only way we got down New Army Pass was with crampons (because we brought them for climbing too). We went in Cottonwood Pass. All depends on the melt, but in early June either New Army or Old Army Passes would be difficult unless you have traction, ice axe, and maybe even rope.

Old Army pass is a much more direct route if you are climbing Langley. Old Army trail has been obliterated by rockfall and is basically a talus field. I did New Army last year in mid August and had to divert around the snow cornice on the trail. I talked to some folks who were headed up Old Army but they had been on it before and knew the route. I have never done it.
620-21_Lake#5_edited-1.jpg
14_SkyB_LakePk3879.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I have not done Old Army Pass but have been by it several times. Two years ago a woman died on it just before I came through on New Army. The original trail has a fair bit of exposure higher up, and worse, snow hangs in on the upper stretches pretty late in the season. Unprepared hikers slipping on those snowbanks have caused more than a few deaths and injuries. In fact, it is because the snow hangs in so long that New Army Pass was built to avoid the danger and increase the amount of the season that the pass was accessible.