Domeland Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hiker_Sweeney
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Domeland Wilderness

Post by Hiker_Sweeney »

Hi there,

Originally had a memorial day trip planned up in Norcal, but due to closures won't be able to make it happen.

Was thinking about heading to Domeland wilderness in the Southern Sierra, as there will be good weather and few crowds.

Have a proposed route here, but would love to hear if there are any other good routes.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map-cd474f6--12

Will be doing a 3 night, 4 day trip, and hoping to spend most of the time exploring the granite/dome section of the park (vs. the kern river section).
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Domeland Wilderness

Post by dougieb »

Haven't been there but I remember reading that there are a lot of Rattlers back there and that some of the trails are in less than ideal condition. Bushwhacking and Rattlers could make for an interesting experience... It does look gorgeous out there though.

Ok let me step aside for those that have actually been there. 😁
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

You might find some helpful info here including a few trip suggestions.
https://domelandwilderness.wordpress.co ... trictions/
Last edited by gary c. on Mon May 11, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

I visited the Domelands area about 5 or 6 years ago. To be frank, I thought it was pretty "meh." The rocks formations were cool and provided a lot of fun scrambling to high points, but the terrain was scrubby and flat, there was very little water (but plenty of snakes...), and pretty much every trail we used except the PCT and the trails through Rockhouse Basin were nonexistent. There was a lot of bushwacking.

If you want to stay in the southern Sierra area, you could try heading north on the PCT from Kennedy Meadow Rd. There's interesting stuff in that area (Monache Mountain, Beck Meadows, Olancha Peak, etc.), and the trails are in better (but not great) shape. It's also higher elevation and slightly more alpine than the Domelands, so much lower risk of heatstroke and rattlesnakes :).
Hiker_Sweeney
Topix Novice

Post by Hiker_Sweeney »

Thanks all! I have heard a lot about the rattlesnakes...wondering if they are truly as widespread as I'm hearing.

@GGC23 the PCT route north does look interesting, though the only thing is that we are hoping to do a loop route.

We were thinking of maybe heading up to the Jennie Lakes wilderness instead, but the problem up there might be snow levels being too high.