If the COVID spike continues in CA, will permits be cancelled?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ohm44
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

If the COVID spike continues in CA, will permits be cancelled?

Post by ohm44 »

I decided to do the Sierra High Route instead of the CDT this year due to COVID, specifically the fact that I could do the SHR and be a minuscule risk to locals (no hitchhiking, no grocery shopping, no hotels, etc).

I've got a month off work, but now worried about CA shutting down. What are the odds that backcountry permits get cancelled this summer/fall?
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: If the COVID spike continues in CA, will permits be cancelled?

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

I can say this about wilderness permits, given the case spike in Sars-Cov-2 right now, with complete certainty:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by MichaelRPetrick on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

MichaelRPetrick wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 am ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
#truefacts

If hiking in 2020 had a motto, it'd be: plan for your plans to fall through.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Possibly isolated places if they became a news item say like some thru trail town hangouts. But otherwise not at all at this point. All the broad stroke controls are over as we know much more now. People would not obey for situations where common sense tells one it doesn't matter. And Newsom clearly understands that. Just today was reading that it does not seem the national protests last month resulted in any significant contagion. Something I expected and that I've been leaning towards from early after noticing people were rarely getting sick in supermarkets where for weeks many did not wear masks. Instead that this is mostly an indoor issue over longer periods of contact and not outdoors given common sense reasonable safe distancing, especially if not hours.

After the pandemic given a year or two, hiking is going to be bigger than ever.