Which trip would you choose? Need help deciding.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jtmann
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Which trip would you choose? Need help deciding.

Post by jtmann »

Hi Community,

Having a hard time deciding which trip to take - both starting 7/9.

1) Kearsarge Pass to Rae Lakes and back - 4-5 nights.

2) Lyell Canyon through Vogelsang to Merced Lake looping back through Emeric Lake and out Rafferty Creek - 5 nights.

I need to make a decision soon!

Thanks, Jason
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Which trip would you choose? Need help deciding.

Post by wildhiker »

Which trip would I choose? Well, that depends ... on what you are looking for. Also, where you can get a permit (and if you already have permits for both, then why are you hoarding permits?). Tell us more about your goals and what kind of country you like.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think the Yosemite loop may have more mosquitoes than the Rae Lakes loop. Rae Lakes likely more crowded; Yosemite loop less alpine scenery, more sub-alpine.
jtmann
Topix Novice

Post by jtmann »

Thanks Phil and Wandering Daisy. Sorry for hoarding permits Phil - I do have both of them already. I like granite mixed with good fishing lakes and am leaning towards Rae Lakes (Wandering Daisy's comments seem to go along with what my tastes are). The scenery on that route sounds insane and I've never been to the area. Did Lyell Canyon to Vogelsang out Rafferty Creek last year but really want to check out Merced Lake. I almost feel like a thru hike to the valley would be the best option for the Yosemite trip but I don't want to ride the Yarts bus right now. Don't really mind more people because I am hiking with my 11 and 13 years old boys and my 18 year old daughter. So Phil, now that I've given you more info, which route would you choose? I am assuming this is the same Phil who posts on Yosemite backpacking forums? You've given me excellent advice on trips in the past on that forum.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you add in 60 Lakes Basin and Dragon Lake to the Rae Lakes visit, then definitely #1. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I agree with Rae Lakes. Yes, it is crowded, but that is because it is an utterly awesome place.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Hi Jason.
I'll add to what Mav said. I have a few trip memories that really stand out. One of my favorites was Onion Valley to Kearsarge Lakes then over Gardiner Pass into Gardiner Basin. We had a rest day at the high lake (11,394 on the 15 minute quad). Then 60 lakes Basin, Rae Lakes and last night at Charlotte. There was some good fishing, and some exploring - the remains of one of Shorty Lovelace's small cabins is just about at the lowest point the route gets in Gardiner Basin.
Have a great time!
-mort
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'll add to what Mav said. I have a few trip memories that really stand out. One of my favorites was Onion Valley to Kearsarge Lakes then over Gardiner Pass into Gardiner Basin.
Wanted to include Gardiner, but wasn't sure whether 60 Lakes Col was in the OP's comfort level and range, also, 4 nights is a little short, 5 is better.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jtmann
Topix Novice

Post by jtmann »

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve got to check the map - we’ve got 5 nights.