TR: Piute Pass Kid Friendly Adventure (7/5/20 - 7/8/20)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Piute Pass Kid Friendly Adventure (7/5/20 - 7/8/20)

Post by mckee80 »

Thanks for the report! I'll have some nice daydream fantasies about taking my kids there :)
c0ryh
Topix Acquainted

Post by c0ryh »

Great trip report. I think we saw you coming down Piute while we were coming up. If your daughter has a stuffed animal hanging from her pack, that was you.

My daughter is 18 months. As we passed you guys, I told my buddy you are living the dream and that's one of my family goals when my daughter grows up.

Good job!
jlweinberger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jlweinberger »

c0ryh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:22 pm If your daughter has a stuffed animal hanging from her pack, that was you.
That was us. Her stuffed otter goes on all our adventures.

Not that you asked, but if you're looking for any recommendations for places to take your daughter when she's a little older, I highly recommend Polydome Lakes in Yosemite (Murphy Creek trailhead): ~2.5 to 3 miles (one way) and ~600 feet of elevation gain. We took our kids on their first backpacking trip there 5 years ago, and they had a blast hanging out at the lake and exploring the nearby granite slabs. Although we didn't have to, we joked that we could even go back to the car for a second trip if we needed anything. Other good spots we've been with the kids: 20 Lakes Basin (just east of Yosemite), Matlock Lake (Onion Valley/ Kearsarge Pass trailhead), and the Cottonwood Lakes Basin.

I hope you had a great trip and enjoy many future family excursions with your daughter!
c0ryh
Topix Acquainted

Post by c0ryh »

Thanks for the great information. 20 lakes basin is beautiful and a great spot for family trips. I will look into Murphy creek trail head. That sounds like a perfect place to go.