Dispersed car camping near Big Meadow (Sequoia NF)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Loseyourself
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Dispersed car camping near Big Meadow (Sequoia NF)

Post by Loseyourself »

gary c. wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:43 am I've had no problems getting a site at Horse Meadows CG twice in the last two months. Very nice CG and all 1st come 1st served. We even went there the weekend before the 4th on a Thursday and snagged 4 camp sites. Where the pavement ends on the Cherry Hill road is a dispersed camp site called Poison Meadow. A very pretty spot but sometimes you have to share with others because it is a very big area. Like others have said any spur road will get you to a place you can camp. Be sure and double check about fire restrictions in the area. I believe that the entire forest is closed to fires right now except in designated campgrounds like Horse Meadow.
Just got back and had no problems finding a dispersed spot just off the road that circles Big Meadow. It appears there were open spots in the BM campground itself, but I was looking for a little solitude.

The drive up through Kernville had me worried. Completely packed with cars and tents everywhere. But that's not the same crowd that ventures into the NF, it seems. (More of a party/drinking crowd that hangs out by the river or lake, as best I could tell.)

Thanks.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Don't suppose that you made a hike to Manter Meadow? If so what kind of shape is the creek in and did you see many fish?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Loseyourself
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Loseyourself »

I did not.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Loseyourself wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:17 am

Just got back and had no problems finding a dispersed spot just off the road that circles Big Meadow. It appears there were open spots in the BM campground itself, but I was looking for a little solitude.

The drive up through Kernville had me worried. Completely packed with cars and tents everywhere. But that's not the same crowd that ventures into the NF, it seems. (More of a party/drinking crowd that hangs out by the river or lake, as best I could tell.)

Thanks.
Ah Kernville...my home town. That area has always been that way. 60 years ago I lived in the little clapboard house next to James store and it was pretty much that way back then. The town would die without the tourist traffic from the Bakersfield area.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.