How do I get a walk-in permit from Inyo National Forest?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

How do I get a walk-in permit from Inyo National Forest?

Post by Shiker »

EDIT/UPDATE: I was able to get through on the phone. All physical locations are closed. If this happens, you need to call in and they will manually increase the "quota" in the computer at Recreation.gov, while you are waiting on the phone, so that you can place an order for the permit. They waited on the phone while I placed the order. Then I gave them my order number and they promised to issue and email out the permit later today. Told me they'd call me if they had any questions or needed anything further.

===
How do I get a walk-in permit for a non-quota trailhead in the Inyo National Forest?

I'm asking here because I cannot get through to the Wilderness Permit Office at all... I've been calling over and over, but it either says that the number is busy or it rings for a while and then hangs up on me.

I'm not sure that the Inyo NF web site information is up-to-date (due to the COIVD pandemic) and some links on the web site are broken.

This is my first time attempting to get a permit for a no-quota trailhead. I'd expected that I could reserve it online, but (and this doesn't make sense to me) apparently there is some kind of quota for online reserveable permits at Recreation.gov. So there are no reserveable permits for the day I need, even though this trailhead is clearly marked as non-quota.

So do I need to pickup a permit in-person from one of the Inyo NF physical wilderness permit offices? If so, are there any special rules/procedures in place due to the pandemic?
Last edited by Shiker on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: How do I get a walk-in permit from Inyo National Forest?

Post by bobby49 »

Shiker wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:02 pm So do I need to pickup a permit in-person from one of the Inyo NF physical wilderness permit offices?
That is about the worst possibility.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: How do I get a walk-in permit from Inyo National Forest?

Post by rlown »

Funny.. They answered on the first call yesterday at 10am..