TR: LLV to Pioneer Basin 7/6-7/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: LLV to Pioneer Basin 7/6-7/11

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and photos! Looks like a fun trip. Nice to hear the bugs were mostly not an issue, too.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Good grief, I have now cancelled three trips to Pioneer Basin, the latest due to Covid and a 14 day family isolation. I sincerely hope I get to this area before I no longer am physically capable. So many great trip reports--your among them--tell me I that I must find a way.
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by KingMouth »

I'm heading up on Thursday. One of those trips I keep meaning to do. Gathering beta on the conditions by reading trip reports.
I aborted a previous trip in Mid-July of the really big snow year (2016?) as the switchbacks above Ruby were sheet ice. I just spent the weekend skiing at Mammoth. ;)
I guess I'll bring my fishing gear...
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular

Post by BillyBobBurro »

That is a very interesting looking fish. I suspect it is a redband/golden hybrid. Redbands were planted in a lot of places early on. I've seen lots of rainbow/golden hybrids and they typically look a bit different. But... golden hybrids can take on all sorts of looks.
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted

Post by KingMouth »

KingMouth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:32 pm I'm heading up on Thursday. One of those trips I keep meaning to do. Gathering beta on the conditions by reading trip reports.
I aborted a previous trip in Mid-July of the really big snow year (2016?) as the switchbacks above Ruby were sheet ice. I just spent the weekend skiing at Mammoth. ;)
I guess I'll bring my fishing gear...
Rock Creek Fire

It looks like another near miss as I was planning on driving up this afternoon for my permit tomorrow. :\