Campsite Advice - Miter Basin and Kaweah Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Campsite Advice - Miter Basin and Kaweah Basin

Post by wsp_scott »

I have a couple campsite questions, not really trip advice questions (I've spent a huge amount of time reading trip reports).

Short version: With photography in mind, where to set up camp near Picket Guard Lake or "Island Lake" and where in Miter Basin?

Longer version:
I am hitting the trail at the end of this month to check out Miter Basin and Picket Basin over 8 nights. Main goal is exploration and photography, no peak bagging or fishing. There is a comet low in the west, I'm hoping for a couple photos so I'd like to find a couple campsites on the east side of a lake with a good mountain in the background, shouldn't be too hard :)

My planned route is Cottonwood Pass -> PCT -> HST/Junction Meadow -> Picket Guard Lake -> back to PCT -> Crabtree Lakes -> Crabtree Pass -> Miter Basin -> New Army Pass -> Cirque Lake -> Trailhead

I plan on 2 nights in the Picket Creek Basin and Kaweah Basin area. I'd really like to set up camp and dayhike for the couple of days vs. move camp. It appears that the two obvious choices for campsites are Picket Guard Lake or "Island Lake" in Kaweah Basin. Is there any reason to set up camp at one or the other? I don't want to cross Picket Pass with a full pack and then realize that I should have setup at Picket Guard Lake :) I'm planning on a dayhike to Red Spur Basin, my impression is there is not much in the way of good campsites there.

In Miter Basin, I have seen mixed reports about campsites or not near Iridescent Lake, is it worth camping or just dayhike? I know I can find a campsite near Sky Blue Lake so that is what I am planning now.

My last night I am aiming for Cirque Lake, this seems to be a little more quiet than the Cottonwood Lakes and sets me up for a short last day to the car.

I enter on July 28 and exit on August 5, I'll be solo if anyone wants to chat.

sorry for the long winded post and thanks to anyone who can help
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Campsite Advice - Miter Basin and Kaweah Basin

Post by maverick »

I'm planning on a dayhike to Red Spur Basin, my impression is there is not much in the way of good campsites there.
Wrong, good campsites, and wonderful sunset photo opps.
With photography in mind, where to set up camp near Picket Guard Lake or "Island Lake" and where in Miter Basin?
PGL is sunset location, and IL is a sunrise location (unless your lucky to get a thunderstorm clearing near sunset, and you get some color play).

Sky Blue Lake makes a good basecamp to go out and scout for a locations.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

There is a tarn in the southeast corner of Miter Basin, which might be on your way depending on which route you take. The views from the ledge of the whole basin are incredible. You are looking north into the basin, and anywhere in the basin will be tough for views low to the skyline to the west due to the nature of the basin (big ridge of Pickering + Newcomb blocks the west). I was there last labor day but just looked for the photos and I don't think I even processed them yet!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

maverick wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm
I'm planning on a dayhike to Red Spur Basin, my impression is there is not much in the way of good campsites there.
Wrong, good campsites, and wonderful sunset photo opps.
With photography in mind, where to set up camp near Picket Guard Lake or "Island Lake" and where in Miter Basin?
PGL is sunset location, and IL is a sunrise location (unless your lucky to get a thunderstorm clearing near sunset, and you get some color play).

Sky Blue Lake makes a good basecamp to go out and scout for a locations.
Thanks @maverick I really appreciate your distinction between sunrise and sunset places, I'm not a morning person and almost always miss the sunrise. I'll set up at PGL or maybe Red Spur if I'm feeling ambitious.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

maiathebee wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:48 pm There is a tarn in the southeast corner of Miter Basin, which might be on your way depending on which route you take. The views from the ledge of the whole basin are incredible. You are looking north into the basin, and anywhere in the basin will be tough for views low to the skyline to the west due to the nature of the basin (big ridge of Pickering + Newcomb blocks the west). I was there last labor day but just looked for the photos and I don't think I even processed them yet!
Thanks @maiathebee for that info. The map made me think that western photos in Miter Basin might not work well. Can't wait to see your photos/trip report :)
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Agree with @maiathebee on the tarn. We did that trip last August and it was a great spot to get views of the entire basin. I have a photo from a location near there as my work laptop background. Such a great area... and I always want to be there when I’m working thanks to that view! ;)
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

wsp_scott wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:08 am In Miter Basin, I have seen mixed reports about campsites or not near Iridescent Lake, is it worth camping or just dayhike? I know I can find a campsite near Sky Blue Lake so that is what I am planning now.
I've camped at Sky Blue Lake before. There are no trees. It is all pretty rocky, so don't expect to find some luxurious spot. Most of the places that are flat enough for a tent are too close to the lake to be legal.

Having said that, I will be passing through that way in a couple of weeks. I expect to camp down low, nearer to Lower Soldier Lake, and then shoot up through Crabtree Pass.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

One of my favorite sunrise locations is slightly east of Guitar Lake. Then I turn around and shoot toward the west when the first dawn light is coming over from the ridge to the east. The first dawn light is very colorful and dim, but then you have to get it before it gets bright.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

wsp_scott,

(1) As noted, the view of the Miter Basin from the ledge above the SE tarn is epic. In fact, you will walk directly by this location if you exit the Miter Basin as follows: In the lower part of the Basin, stay high and below the Major General (ie, stay above Rock Creek) and head toward Upper Soldier Lake. From USL, scramble a really sandy old use trail to join the Mt Langley use trail. Then continue to New Army Pass (as you intended). Note: Often Bighorn sheep are encountered just east of USL, presenting a nice photo opportunity.

(2) Compared to ascending to Picket Guard Lake from the Colby Pass Trail, what I believe you are referring to as Picket Pass (separating Picket Creek Basin and the Kaweah Basin) is just a little hill (pack or no pack).

(3) I was just down in the Kern Trench (July 12-13) and the Kern is running very low. At Junction Meadow I talked to two hikers who had just come down the Colby Pass Trail. They said they did not get their feet wet crossing the Kern.

Sounds like you have quite an outing planned. Enjoy!

Jim
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted

Post by B.Kruger »

If you want to push a few more miles through Miter Basin there are excellent camping options and views from the Upper Soldier Lake area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.