Map Recommendation for Off-trail Travel - Upper Kern

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Map Recommendation for Off-trail Travel - Upper Kern

Post by SirBC »

Balsamroot9 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm Thanks Balzccom. I'm really hoping for a pre-made map. My printer is old, ink is not waterproof and I live in a rural area with no printing services available. Thanks for the suggestion though -- it's good to know as a back-up.
I use Caltopo.com and print maps at FedEX. You can upload the saved map to FedEx and they will print it and mail it to you. It won't be on waterproof paper but what I do is print two copies and keep one in a ziplock in my backpack and only use it if something happens to my main map. I've also taken waterproof paper to FedEx and printed 11x17 maps that way, but the paper is too rigid and I don't like using those maps.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Balsamroot9
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Map Recommendation for Off-trail Travel - Upper Kern

Post by Balsamroot9 »

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess it's time for me to figure out how to make and print my own mapset. Great suggestions all around.

Does anyone have opinons about the Nat Geo or Tom Harrison maps just for overall coverage of surrounding peaks at a broader scale? And then print 7.5 minute maps for navigating where it counts.