Trip suggestions for four nights -- possibly out of Lodgepole

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip suggestions for four nights -- possibly out of Lodgepole

Post by Captain Slappy »

I will be in Vegas next month and will be taking a backpacking trip in the Sierra again. I have entered over Shepherd Pass and Kearsarge the last few years so thought I would try the west side even though it is a couple of hours further by car. I dig the eastern Sierra but have only entered from the west once so I feel like I'm not giving it a fair shake.

That said, I am looking at a four night loop out of Lodgepole, since I've never been there before.

Lodgepole --> Bearpaw Meadow over Elizabeth Pass to Roaring River area --> over Silliman Pass or through Rowell Meadow area --> Lodgepole.

Does this sound like an interesting itinerary? Alternatively, are there any other suggestions, even from the east again?

Level of backpacking is some x-country. I made it to Picket Lake last year while heading for Kaweah Basin but had to turn back because I was running short on time. I've also done the Rae Lakes loop, North South Lake loop, Milestone Basis out and back, Circle of Solitude via Kearsarge.

Big mountain scenery is the main thing I'm looking for. No issues with altitude sickness.

Thanks, as always.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip suggestions for four nights -- possibly out of Lodgepole

Post by maverick »

Here is an alternative west side trip to put in the mix: Mineral King>Pinto Lake>Little Five Lakes>Big Five Lakes>Columbine Lake>Mineral King
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm a big advocate of spending more time hiking, less time driving. Especially since the east side of the range is closer to the Sierra Crest, I'm not sure why you'd burn 4 hours getting over here on the west side. Maybe if you've never seen a Giant Sequoia or Yosemite Valley it'd be worth the trip.

But like Mav said, Mineral King & Lodgepole/Wolverton are the closest trail heads that I don't consider "Southern Sierra", areas that are best for the shoulder seasons.

Your itinerary seems to spend a lot of time plying uninteresting trail (slogging it to Bearpaw, or along the Sugarloaf trail) and then skipping the destinations that people actually slog those trails for (Hamilton Lakes, Tamarack Lake, the Great Western Divide & Whaleback).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Adrenaline's attitude to maximize hiking, not driving, is generally good, but if you follow that advice religiously you will never leave your own county!

Sounds like you've done some good cross-country. In that case, consider a cross-country trip in Sequoia in the Tablelands to get great high altitude open country with views of big mountains. My wife and I did a nice four day trip on the Tablelands in 2011. We drove to Sequoia from the Bay Area (about 5 hours) and then hiked that afternoon from the Wolverton trailhead to Alta Meadow on good trail. Great views of the Great Western Divide from there. Next day was cross-country (sometimes on an old use trail) to Moose Lake. Such a beautiful spot (but not a tree in sight) that we stopped early and spent the day lounging about. Third day we walked all the way across the Tablelands first to the north and then west to the pass leading to Crowley Canyon. If you have the time, it's worth heading all the way north to the lip of the Tablelands above Big Bird Lake for the views of the lake and canyons below and the Kaweah Peaks behind them, but we skipped that on this trip and took a more direct route. The Tablelands is pretty much all class 1 hiking on slabs and meadows. We dropped down the pass NW toward Crowley Canyon to camp on a bench above the creek with views to the Monarch Divide and the Palisades in the distance. On the fourth day, we continued past Crescent Lake (a bit of class 2 scrambling here) and the little lake north of it down to Beville Lake, where we picked up the trail west over Silliman Pass and all the way down to Lodgepole. We took the shuttle back to Wolverton, but it's not running this year, so you would have to walk about 1.5 to 2 miles on trail from Lodgepole to Wolverton.

Remember that there are no walk-up wilderness permits available in Sequoia-Kings Canyon Parks this year due to COVID-19 restrictions (the rangers don't want to see the hordes in person) and you have to make your online reservation request at least two weeks in advance.

Here's a photo of the Great Western Divide seen over Moose Lake as a sample:
P1030738.JPG
-Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:04 pm I'm a big advocate of spending more time hiking, less time driving. Especially since the east side of the range is closer to the Sierra Crest, I'm not sure why you'd burn 4 hours getting over here on the west side. Maybe if you've never seen a Giant Sequoia or Yosemite Valley it'd be worth the trip.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but this is helping to talk me out of driving to the west side.

Since I've done Shepherd Pass a couple of years in a row and don't want to start with a 6k climb again, so I am looking at hikes from Onion Valley over Kearsarge.

One idea I'm leading towards right now is repeating the Circle of Solitude hike (Kearsarge --> Avalanche Pass-->Colby-->Forrester...) I did a few years ago but trying to make part of it cross country, like going from over Colby Pass up Milestone Bowl over Milestone Pass and into Milestone Basin. I've also considered traveling down Deadman Canyon shooting for Copper Mine Pass and up over Triple Divide Pass, but this seems pretty difficult.

I also received a suggestion for a Hoover/Northern Yosemite loop out of Twin Lakes here a couple of years ago that I never got to do. It looks like a really great trek. However, that might also mean more driving time. Finally, there are a couple of treks from Rae Lakes, like 60 Lakes Basin and Dragon Lake that I could make a trip out of too.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Captain Slappy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:45 pmI am looking at hikes from Onion Valley over Kearsarge.
I also received a suggestion for a Hoover/Northern Yosemite loop out of Twin Lakes
Yeah, there's a lot of trailheads between Onion Valley & Twin Lakes too (only like, 112 miles of mountains). I wouldn't think you'd have to repeat anything.

I think a lot of people over look the west side. The scenery can be 95% as good as the east side, and the longer trail miles to get to alpine scenery aren't so bad. Most people that live in San Francisco drive the 6+ hours to Bishop too often, when they have good stuff 3 hours away. But if you happen to be closer to the East side, I'd take advantage of that. But Giant Sequoia's are pretty cool, Hamilton Lake is awesome, so there's certainly stuff that should be on your list from the west.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

check out the cottonwood / army passes / miter basin area? seems ideal for where you’re coming from, and all new territory.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

While frozenintime is suggesting an excellent area, it is also a popular one, with advance reservations for both trailheads (Cottonwood Pass and Cottonwood Lakes) looking booked pretty solid throughout August ... except for Sat Aug 22, where 14 Cottonwood Lakes slots are available (someone canceled a trip for a large group maybe ?). So Captain Slappy would need to watch for the “walk-in” slots to get posted to book a trip here.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

grampy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:50 pm While frozenintime is suggesting an excellent area, it is also a popular one, with advance reservations for both trailheads (Cottonwood Pass and Cottonwood Lakes) looking booked pretty solid throughout August ... except for Sat Aug 22, where 14 Cottonwood Lakes slots are available (someone canceled a trip for a large group maybe ?). So Captain Slappy would need to watch for the “walk-in” slots to get posted to book a trip here.
I read up on Miter Basin and Crabetree Pass, and it looks like a great trip. I haven't really explored the area other than day hikes.

There looks to be a nice lollipop or loop over Cottonwood Pass into Miter over Crabtree Pass and following the Crabtree Lakes back to the Pac Crest Trail. It looks like New Army Pass is a possibility coming back too just for some variety.

I have a pretty good fix on when those remaining permits will be available so fingers crossed. Is it typically difficult to drive up and get a camping spot at Horseshoe Meadows in the middle of the week, assuming I get there late in the afternoon? Thanks