Favorite 3-4 night trips in SEKI?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
owen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Favorite 3-4 night trips in SEKI?

Post by owen »

What are your favorite 3-4 day trips in SEKI, preferably on the West Side? They can include off trail.

I was reading some comments about Alta Meadows and the Tablelands and it looks really beautiful and I realized I've been missing out on the Southern Sierra!
2020hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Favorite 3-4 night trips in SEKI?

Post by 2020hiker »

Friends of mine just did a mineral king loop over off trail glacier pass and cyclaman pass. Looked pretty great - they came out of sawtooth
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

Yup, it's gotta be Tablelands for me. Have been to Tablelands five times, four times via Pear Lake, once coming in from the NW after doing summitting Silliman. Still haven't made it to Moose Lake though, so I've still stuff to explore up there.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Poke around my site. All 50+ of my trip reports are for west side entry. Many of them are in SeKi and the rest are in adjacent NF where permits are much easier to come by.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

5 day, 4 night Deadman Canyon loop is quite amazing with options for side trips and the like along the way.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

Aside from the Tablelands, another nice option out of Sequoia or the nearby national forest is exploring Ranger, Seville, Beville, and Lost Lakes. These lakes can be easily reached either beginning in Lodgepole or the Sunset Meadow trailhead. The route offers an obvious loop, and there's plenty of opportunities for x-country travel. For a short x-country option you can hit Sheep Camp Lakes or head out from Beville Lake to Crescent Lake. All the lakes in this area are gorgeous, but the one drawback is the region is a little swampy, and it's all below treeline, so you won't get big mountain views aside from on Silliman Pass.

Out of Kings you could explore the Monarch Wilderness via the Copper Creek Trail. The trail's a notorious butt-kicker, but with an early start and an iron resolve you can get into Granite Basin or Granite Lake for your first night. From there you have all kinds of x-country options. You can make a nice loop by going to Volcanic Lakes, and then heading north to the abandoned trail along Kennedy Creek, or save a lot of distance by just crossing from Volcanic Lakes to East Kennedy Lake. Other lake chains you can hit from Granite Lake include Glacier Lakes, State Lakes, or Kid Lakes. You're unlikely to see another soul once you leave the trail in this neck of the woods.