Camping Near Tioga Pass Outside Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camping Near Tioga Pass Outside Yosemite

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

grampy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 pm
MichaelRPetrick wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm Yeah it is filthy with people... Way too crowded for my taste near to a weekend start point. Mid-week, a little more tolerable, but still not my cup of tea.
Well, THAT’s not good news - I was planning a night there early next week myself. Now I may reconsider.
On a Monday or Tuesday it might be way less crowded.

Also another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of permits appear to be going unused this year. Folks have commented on seeing way less people than usual in the backcountry since SIPs. Seems like that would translate to the BP campground in TM as well.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Yosemite staff made it quite clear that social distancing in BP CG is a challenge and to bear that in mind. So perhaps absolute #s are down, but relative space is at more premium due to COVID-19. And they are unfortunately not permitting people to overflow into areas across rest of the campground.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Thanks Mav, for the link.

Perhaps I’ll try one of the less(er)-used Inyo NF c.g.s outside the park.
>> Has anyone stayed at Sawmill walk-in campground (near Saddlebag)? Seems like a 1/4-mile walk in from the road would make it not so popular ... but I could be dead-wrong.
Do I need to get there (or at any of these “first-come first-served” spots) around 2:00 (or before) to get a spot, or would it be fairly easy on a Tuesday ?