Evolution Valley from Florence or from Lake Sabrina?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Evolution Valley from Florence or from Lake Sabrina?

Post by KathyW »

audiorecordist: Let us know what you decided on. I just came back from a trip over Lamarck Col (over twice as it was a 3-day out-and-back trip). The route up to Lamarck Col is relatively easy to follow but it gets harder not from down from the Col on the southwest side. Once you get to the Lakes you just follow along the northerly part of the lakes finding trail when you can. It gets easier and the trail is more apparent by the end of Lake 11623. As I recall from a previous trip it keeps getting easier as you descend down from Darwin Bench to the junction with the John Muir Trail, but I didn't go that far this trip. I went up to Lake 11540 and Mount Geothe instead. The first day was a tough day going over the Col and down to camp - GPS said about 8 miles with 4,000' gain and the elevation killed me. I was really dreading coming back over Lamarck Col on Day 3, but being more acclimated it wasn't too bad and It was early in the day when I was well rested.