Advice for exploring over McGee Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice for exploring over McGee Pass

Post by kpeter »

With my permit now in hand, I have been devouring all of your advice. You have built my excitement for this trip! It is now clear to me that I will spend some time on the Tully/Cotton/Walton/Mace/Hortense plateau. Two questions about it:

1. Is the best route up just to leave the trail where it crosses Fish Creek and follow the outlet stream(s) south up onto the plateau (A)? It looks like it would also be doable to head up to Tully in the gap east of point 10617 (B). And some of you seem to suggest heading up Fish Creek toward Red and White Lake to start the plateau trek (C). So three alternatives.
Trail Choices.JPG
2. I read CGunderson's description of the Mace/Warrior ridge crossing, and think I will pass on it this time, although it looks spectacular. Is the next best alternative for getting from Hortense over to the Indian lakes just following the outlet down and then going back up the JMT?
Hortense to JMT.JPG
Then one question about the next part of the trip.

3. I am trying to weigh my options for the more westerly part of the trip. Between Wilber May, Peter Pande, and Olive, which should be my principle western destination? Is getting up to Anne worthwhile? And how is the cross country travel from Wilber May over to Peter Pande--especially scenic or would I be better off just taking the trail?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Itinerary begins to look like this. How does this seem?
Day 1 Big McGee Lake
Day 2 Over McGee Pass and camp in the Cotton Lake vicinity
Day 3 layover. explore the plateau around Cotton Lake, possibly move camp to Hortense lakes
Day 4 down the outlet and up the JMT and (possibly) all the way over to Peter Pande lake. Too long a day?
Day 5 layover. explore Peter Pande/Olive/Anne
Day 6 back to the Indian lakes or possibly to Fish Creek
Day 7 over the pass and back to Big McGee
Day 8 out and home
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi kpeter,
Itinerary looks good; frankly, you could do any of those options to get to Cotton, but the one I'd recommend aiming for is A. A couple reasons for this: first, if you are gassed by then and don't want to finish the climb to Cotton, you are in the best part of Tully for campsites. Second, getting around Tully can be trickier than it looks, and following the trail down to the outlet stream offers the clearest shot at Cotton. But, however you do it, I'm pretty sure you'll sort it out. For the descent from Hortense: definitely, follow the outlet creek; it's pretty mellow. I've not spent enough time in area 3 to comment authoritatively........but, when I was there last, it was exceedingly toasty, so it may be brain melt killed memories. Cameron
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree with Cameron regarding Route A being the best way onto the plateau. The Hortense outlet stream route is easy (ascended it in 2018 with full pack and blown-out left knee) and efficient so it nicely connects your plateau route to the more westerly objectives on your trip. As for Wilbur May to Minnow Creek drainage (Peter Pande et al.) you'll save time by simply descending from Wilbur May to the trail then reascending to Peter Pande. Best of Minnow Creek basin? If you like more alpine scenery then Anne is the nicest lake of the basin and Olive the least interesting.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I descended from Hortense Lake to the JMT in 1998 by following that subsidiary ridge that heads west from the outlet and south of the stream valley you have marked. Don't recall any problems.
-Phil
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I'd go for modified option C (see figure). This gets you up on the east side of the plateau, instead of missing it. I camped roughly at the X (maybe a little higher) and it was an easy walk to Tully Lake from there.
Tully.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

As always, the folks on this site have given superb advice and options. I will try to do a trail report worthy of all you input!