Best Non-Permit Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Best Non-Permit Backpacking

Post by kpeter »

tahoefoothills wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 pm I just returned from the Bighorn Crags in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. 2.3 million acres, no permits, no quotas, no bear canisters required and very few people because it is quite isolated. Great trails and backpacking scenery.
Your post warmed my heart. I grew up packing in the Bighorn Crags and other Idaho destinations--The Seven Devils, the Sawtooths of course, and others besides. In about 1974 there was a major battle over whether the Idaho Primitive Area should be expanded and designated wilderness. As a teenager, I joined the movement and testified in favor of the wilderness at my first big public speaking event. A few years later in 1980 I interned with Frank Church's office and helped with some of the wilderness designation work. I was so pleased when they renamed it after him in 1984, though of course saddened by his untimely death. Frank was the floor sponsor in 1964 of the Wilderness Act, and I silently thank him every time I enter a wilderness area.

The Frank Church River of No Return is truly vast--the largest wilderness in the United States outside of Alaska. The Bighorn Crags are just a corner of it. What did you think of those weird wind-sculpted formations as you head down the trail from Crags campground? I've never seen anything quite like them, since.
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

jillsocean wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:16 pm If you are willing to go to the west side, you can get walk in permits very easily. Check out Dinkey Lakes from Cliff Lake TH.
I'm looking for a chill base camping adventure with a friend. Dinkey Lakes sounds beautiful and I noticed there's a (4WD) road that takes you very close.
Is it typically very crowded?
jillsocean
Topix Acquainted

Post by jillsocean »

Hi, I have been twice, both times from Cliff Lake. Both were Labor Day wknd and not that bad. I believe the Rock Creek Road is closed at the Cow Creek bridge on the W side, but there is a detour I think. I've read (on this forum) that the road is very rough and you need high-clearance, not just 4WD. It's probably about the same amount of time to get to the Cliff Lake Trailhead? And Courtwright reservoir, or I should say the surrounding domes, are simply stunning. It's nice to get there the night before, check out the canyon below the dam, walk the Geological Feature just south (?) of the dam, and camp on the lake or at Trapper Springs.
donutnational
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by donutnational »

The road to Dinkey Lakes Trailhead is not marked 4wd but the last few miles was very interesting last week in my wife's forester. The 4wd road you mention is probably the swamp lake jeep trail. The first few miles are quite mild as far as jeep trails go and you get very close to Sportsmen and Hatch lakes both of which are nice and being outside the wilderness area seldom visited. Cow creek bridge is still closed and coming in from Tamarack takes much longer than getting to Courtright from Shaver Lake. I have had no problem getting a permit by phone the day before my trip, just call right at 8 am. Have fun
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

Thanks @jillsocean and @donutnational.

For Dinkey Lakes TH, Google Maps says to take Dinkey Creek Rd from Shaver Lake, then left on Rock Creek Rd. That should avoid the closure if I understand correctly. I was thinking of renting a high-clearance SUV for this.
Does this sound right?

Alternatively I see now that from Cliff Lake TH it's only 6/7 miles with little elevation gain to get to multiple lakes, so it should still qualify for a chill outing. Thanks for the recommendations near Courtright.

Swamp Lake OHV Route looks fun - noted for when I get into off-road driving which I'm sure will happen at some point...
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

BardoPond wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:17 am

For Dinkey Lakes TH, Google Maps says to take Dinkey Creek Rd from Shaver Lake, then left on Rock Creek Rd. That should avoid the closure if I understand correctly. I was thinking of renting a high-clearance SUV for this.
Does this sound right?
No. The broken bridge is on that route. The correct route is to take Tamarack Ridge out to the trailhead, from 168 north of Shaver Lake. That road has been graded fairly recently, but not all the way to the roughest part of the road. The last mile to Willow Meadow is the worst part.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Or you can just hike from Courtwright. The road is paved, and the hiking is easy. Lost of lakes to explore, and it's easy to find one without too many people
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Or you can just hike from Courtwright. The road is paved, and the hiking is easy. Lost of lakes to explore, and it's easy to find one without too many people
That is a long drive to Courtwright, but you do run into many less people entering the Dinkey area from the east.

We just did a 4-day in the Emigrant Wilderness and the permit was a simple online form with instant results. It is getting a bit dry there now but with so many lakes water is not a real issue.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

CAMERONM wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:36 pm That is a long drive to Courtwright, but you do run into many less people entering the Dinkey area from the east.
I'm not sure why people think it's so much longer. Google Maps has it 4:32 to Cliff Lake trailhead, 4:24 to the Dinkey Lakes trailhead. Those windy forest roads always take way longer than you think, mostly because you're wife is asking you why it's so bouncy and telling you to slow down ;).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.