Cherry Creek trailheads question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nighthawk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Cherry Creek trailheads question

Post by Nighthawk »

I'm thinking about a trip to the West Fork of Cherry Creek in the first half of August. I know it won't be flowing much, if at all, but I've always wanted to visit this area.
Can anyone tell me about the differences between Bourland Meadows vs Box Springs as a trailhead?

If we chose Box Springs, I think we would go to Chain Lakes first and then head toward the creek unless we got a late start. Then a day hike to Hyatt one day and creek exploration another.
If we chose Bourland, we'd head directly to the creek and then explore north one day and south another.

Specifically:
Is the descent to the creek easier or easier to find on one vs the other? I'm going to have young kids with me, but we're experienced with off-trail travel in the Sierra. Ideally a difficulty level like the descent to Waterhouse Lake would be what I'm looking for.
Is the scenery or choice of camping spots better in one section or the other?
Is the road better/shorter to either one?

Does anyone have any camping spots or swimming holes they'd recommend? We will likely hike in and make a base camp to do daytrips from, but hiking deeper is a possibility.
Thanks!
Last edited by Nighthawk on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Cherry Creek trailheads

Post by balzaccom »

We've done both, and I can't say that I have a preference. The route from Bourland to Hyatt Lake deserves a little attention, as it can be tricky, but PM me if you want the details. The granite is impressive in this area....

Chain Lakes are pleasant --no fish-- and that trail is quite easy.

We have not done the hike between Chain Lakes and Hyatt, but I think Hyatt is somehow a more interesting destination.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Re: Cherry Creek trailheads question

Post by murphtron »

Bourland has more immediate options going N or S down the West Fork. Doesn't require the ascent to Hyatt. The ascent to the saddle is straightforward. The contour to Hyatt... well... I haven't perfected that yet. It can be tough due to brush and cliffy joints.

Chain Lakes - it's easy the main lake is nice if unspectacular. The descent via the old Studhorse Meadow route is straightforward if a bit confusing with many ducked routes (this intel is from 10 years ago or more). But Piute Creek is not the West Fork and merely a means to ascend the saddle east of Studhorse to Louse Canyon/W Fork where there is a route to climb to Hyatt. This route is 'easier' than Bourland but that's only because I haven't figured out a non-hellish way from the Bourland route to Hyatt from the saddle.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Re: Cherry Creek trailheads question

Post by looks easy from here »

I don't know about Bourland or beyond Chain Lakes but I've been to Chain Lakes out of Box Spring before. The last few miles of road are very rough and take me about 45 minutes to drive. It's about the limit of what I'd take my CRV on. But it's probably not so bad if you have a Jeep or an Xterra or something similarly capable. The trail to Chain Lakes is pleasant, short and super easy-my son hiked it when he was 3 years old-and there are lots of good campsites around the lake. murphtron's description of "nice if unspectacular" is pretty much bang on for the parts I've been to.