Grouse Ridge Trailhead off Hwy 80

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR - Carr Lake Trailhead off Hwy 80

Post by maytag »

Thank you all for the great support and advice for this trip...just back the other day and thought I would sum it up for you.
Left from Carr Lake on a Sunday afternoon and boy was it packed! After a few miles the crowds began to thin, enjoyed a small break above Penner Lake (sweet view!) and ended up setting camp at Upper Rock Lake. After a great swim and some bird watching, we had forgotten all of the craziness we had left behind. Next day, after a morning dip we headed to Five Lakes for the day...really took a chill day/trip this time around. Swam and just enjoyed some solitude. No bugs...no problems. Hiked out on Tuesday to a very quiet Carr Lake trailhead - what a difference a weekday makes.
Thanks for all of the tips - I really do love and value this forum.
Side Note: I found it interesting that they are eradicating the trout at Five Lakes and Glacier so that the yellow legged frog have a chance; any thoughts on this? Missed seeing the fish on this trip.
Ciao for now!