The best jumping rocks in Emigrant

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

The best jumping rocks in Emigrant

Post by mursey »

There’s something really special about jumping off a rock or cliff and hitting that pristine lake water. Ever since is was a teenager and was coaxed into a 15’ jump in the Trinities or been slightly obsessed with finding other spots. So far I’ve found two good spots with safe, deep pools, not to mention good views.

Pingree lake has a 14’ jump into warm water. There is a nice rock where you can eat lunch and leisurely dive off.

Granite lake has two options. There’s an excellent 18’ launch from the main shore with a deep blue pool as well as 5-12’ options from a peninsula on the other side. The latter is great for getting kids into jumping as you can choose almost any height you want.

I’m heading out towards Buck lakes next week. If anyone knows more good rocks please reply.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: The best jumping rocks in Emigrant

Post by SSSdave »

Well the lake with the most plumb jumps into deep water and some of highest in the Sierra Nevada are actually next to Emigrant in Yosemite at Kibbie Lake that also due to its low 6.5k elevation actually reaches decent surface swimming temps by mid August. But not on windy days as that causes upwelling. Many jumps way way too scary for this lad. That noted, the easy side to access where the trail comes in and people camp is along the southwest shores that is also the less deep side as the glacier scoured the east shores deeply and is why all those granite cliffs drop into on that side.

Decades ago I would lead the bushwhack there because the fishing was much better haha and yes we caught a a lot of sizeable rainbows that are a long evolved colorful strain from the original 1880's planting. The main shrub of pain is chinquapin and at times along the southeast shore that and willows are way over head height. The other way around the lake clockwise is long, tedious, and route finding to avoid much brush is unlikely. Also where the trout spawn in May/June though few are whack enough to be able to get to that end and see them.

The better strategy is to bring something to float across. I've got many old 35mm Kodachromes but won't be scanning any for posting pictures.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

SSSDave wrote:
in Yosemite at Kibbie Lake
:thumbsup:

Spotted Fawn isn't bad either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by phoenix2000 »

You might try checking Letora Lake out. It's in Emigrant Wilderness but it's further in than Buck Lakes. There is one spot on the northern shore that looks like it has potential. A high sheer cliff face with a spot off to the left that you can swim to, climb out of the water and back to the top of the cliff to jump again. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the water is deep enough.

Possible Jumping Rock at Letora Lake.jpg

I don't recall Upper Buck Lake having any good high jumping rocks. You might find a jumping rock that's 5-6 feet above the water.

Upper Buck Lake.jpg

Hyatt Lake looks to have good jumping rocks. Maybe Big Lake as well. It was raining when I was at both lakes so I really didn't get a chance to explore. Both Lakes are south of Pingree Lake.

Further south than Spotted Fawn Lake in Yosemite is Miwok Lake. It has a jumping rock that's about 9 feet high and is easy to climb out of the water and jump again.

Miwok Jumping Rock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.