Campsite Advice Out of Crabtree TH (Emigrant Wilderness)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Campsite Advice Out of Crabtree TH (Emigrant Wilderness)

Post by kdemtchouk »

After having gone to Desolation a couple times this summer and feeling that it’s verrry crowded, I’m going to try visiting the western side of Emigrant to (perhaps) find some more solitude on a quick 1-night trip.

Are there any lakes people would recommend camping at within a 10mi radius of the Crabtree trailhead that are on the quieter side? Anything reached via straightforward off-trail travel would work too.

I’ll be with my fiancé and some friends of ours, so my usual solution of covering lots of miles to break away from the crowds won’t suffice.
maddkeys
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Campsite Advice Out of Crabtree TH (Emigrant Wilderness)

Post by maddkeys »

Just did the Gem Lake loop out of Crabtree TH over the weekend. The crowds were insane, and all the lakes were very crowded. You might consider visiting another area if you're looking for solitude.
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

In a normal season, Emigrant would probably be quieter than Desolation, but not this season. Even off-trail in "central" Emigrant (Granite Dome lakes area), in early July, I ran into more people than I had expected. The area needs trail quotas (and more funding for enforcement). If I were to go back I'd go mid-week and try to go deep, multiple nights. The 1-night radius is where most people stop, even off trail :(

That said, I've done Pingree Lake from Crabtree TH in a day (12 miles, 2200ft up/1300ft down, via Rosasco Lake). It's hard enough to get to that you won't be sharing it with too many parties, and maybe you'll get lucky and have it to yourselves! And that recent July trip, to Iceland Lake, via Kennedy Meadows TH, was about 10.5 miles and 3500ft up in a day, not as bad in a day as I had anticipated. I think most parties get tired around 10 miles, and pushing a few miles further (and off trail) is worth the effort, if you're in shape for it.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I agree with Levi and maddkeys. I just did a seven-day backpack in Emigrant. We left people behind after Piute Lake (that lake was crowded, though it's 8 miles or so in (if I recall) and a good climb. Our small group (three of us) were blissfully alone at Emigrant Lake and saw no one once off-trail to middle Emigrant Lake and Emigrant Meadows Lake. The first people we ran into were on the Horse Trail to Letora Lake (horse packers and a hiker). There was one party at Grouse Lake (close to the trail) but we didn't see them, just heard them.