Yosemite daily drive-in permits - How ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kbarb
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite daily drive-in permits - How ?

Post by kbarb »

TurboHike wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 am every day they go quickly. from the page I posted:

"Reservations are taken almost immediately. Be sure to have an account and be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 7 am Pacific time."
Yes, I read that (and all that you've linked to I'd read already)
But it didn't look to be actually true when I checked.

Have you actually seen them available on recreation.gov, at 7am ?
Or you're just quoting what is stated.

People seem to be claiming so, so I'll have to dbl check again.
If anyone could confirm that they've actually seen a Daily on recreation.gov that'd be great.
It's been implied but not clearly asserted.

Also, I take it from the posts, they are available each and every day ?

I wonder how that works though if they're also available at the Park entrance, assuming they're all using the same database.
The first car in line gets one, then in the next minute they're all claimed online, and every one else in the line of cars is out of luck ?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

NO PERMITS are available at the park entrance! You must get one on recreation.gov. I was just backpacking in Yosemite a few days ago and ran into an interpretive ranger also backpacking on her days off. She told me that she has to spend part of her time at the entrance booth. She said the hardest part is turning people away because they don't have a permit from recreation.gov (or a confirmed Wilderness Permit or overnight reservation at the limited lodging or camping still open in the park). She said some people have driven for hours and she still has to turn them away.
-Phil
kbarb
Topix Novice

Post by kbarb »

Ah, thanks for that - very good to know.
I'll try to add it to my first post if possible.