Horseshoe Meadows Campground - Open?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Horseshoe Meadows Campground - Open?

Post by BaneSierras »

I hate wasting a post on this small topic but cant find it anywhere or get a hold of anyone at the interagency. We hiked horseshoe meadows to Soldier lake and cottonwood lakes in early June and at that time the gates were closed at the very top. I am hoping to return with my family to check out cottonwood lakes but only if the gate is open and we can get a little closer (newborn and 3 year old) and possibly stay the night. NFS site says "open" but I think it said open in June also whne it wasnt.

Can anyone confirm?

ANy info helps. Thanks!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Horseshoe Meadows Campground - Open?

Post by SweetSierra »

It is open now. I think it opened several weeks ago. I was there in June when the gate was closed, and learned two weeks or so later that it opened. A ranger told me it was going to open soon, but not when my trip was planned. It wasn't an issue, though. I walked in the mile or so with my backpack to the empty backpackers campground and set up for the night.
I think a few others here on the board have confirmed that it is open.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

SweetSierra wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm It is open now. I think it opened several weeks ago. I was there in June when the gate was closed, and learned two weeks or so later that it opened. A ranger told me it was going to open soon, but not when my trip was planned. It wasn't an issue, though. I walked in the mile or so with my backpack to the empty backpackers campground and set up for the night.
I think a few others here on the board have confirmed that it is open.
Excellent! Thank you.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

It is open, I was just there last week.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

I was at the nearby Cottonwood Pass campground last Wed. Spots were drive up. $6 fee -- pay in cash and self register. Pit toilets and water pump available. The camp sites aren't huge, but all my fellow campers were well-behaved, which was a nice surprise given my experience at park 'n camp sites in Yosemite.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

Captain Slappy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am I was at the nearby Cottonwood Pass campground last Wed. Spots were drive up. $6 fee -- pay in cash and self register. Pit toilets and water pump available. The camp sites aren't huge, but all my fellow campers were well-behaved, which was a nice surprise given my experience at park 'n camp sites in Yosemite.
Nice! Plenty of open camp sites?
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

BaneSierras wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Captain Slappy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am I was at the nearby Cottonwood Pass campground last Wed. Spots were drive up. $6 fee -- pay in cash and self register. Pit toilets and water pump available. The camp sites aren't huge, but all my fellow campers were well-behaved, which was a nice surprise given my experience at park 'n camp sites in Yosemite.
Nice! Plenty of open camp sites?
Yes, I got there around 6 PM (on a Wednesday) and there looked to be at least a couple of more open spots. I believe there might have been a sign in the parking lot too that said car camping was permissible if all the spots were filled.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

It's been open since July 1, I believe. I was up there last month, and it was beautiful as always. Unfortunately, lots of other campers seem to be illiterate. I observed major violations of some simple rules, posted at the pay kiosk several times and with a large sign at the entrance to the camping area.

Please, do not gather wood near the campgrouns. There is a sign along the road, but I saw so many people out scavenging wood for their campfires. At 10,000 foot altitude, those dead trees provide nutrients, erosion control, habitat for animals, etc. Please obey the signs, no wood gathering.

John