Short No Permit Required (or No Quota) Sierra Backpacking Trip Suggestion

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
blaybelay
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Short No Permit Required (or No Quota) Sierra Backpacking Trip Suggestion

Post by blaybelay »

Hey guys, I'm planning on taking some friends backpacking for the first time and was wondering if anyone could recommend something short (under 15 miles total) that doesn't require permits. We'll be coming out of San Diego so Mammoth/Kings Canyon or lower would be preferred. I know this is a bit of a long shot but thought I'd put it out there. Lakes or rivers would be a welcome part of the trip if possible. Thanks!

Edit: To Clarify, this is a last minute trip happening over labour day weekend. We likely won't be able to get permits (I've checked Recreation.gov) so we'll most likely need something that doesn't require permits. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the Sierra either. Just North of San Diego and South of Mammoth/Kings Canyon. Thanks again!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Short No Permit Required (or No Quota) Sierra Backpacking Trip Suggestion

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

South of Mammoth, I think quota-ed permits are needed all the way down through to Mt. Whitney. But south of Whitney, I know the Golden Trout wilderness doesn't have quota, but the mountains do get sizeably shorter past Whitney.

If you're willing to push just slightly past Mammoth, 20 Lakes basin is a beautiful area that fulfills all your needs: non-quota permits, beautiful lakes, ~10 mile loop, little to no elevation gain perfect for beginners, ... It will definitely be super busy on Labor Day weekend though, and parking is difficult to get on that weekend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

20 Lakes Valley would be ok mid week but not on the holiday as it is certain to be a zoo that won't be a reasonable way to introduce others to backpacking.

Unlike others, Sierra NF is not in the rec dot gov system and their quota page below does not indicate how full a specific trailhead is on dates. And that discourages those planning that would otherwise need to make a phone call so it is more likely some of those permits are more easily available. Just don't wait. And if so please do your homework by looking up where these places are on the topo map and a Google Search including looking at the Images tab.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/p ... rdb5361798

Some of the less used dirt road trailheads are also more difficult to access like Bear Diversion (Dam) so will not go there. Keeping mileage short, Mono Creek (Edison ferry nec, no lakes) or Cliff (Lake) would be a good choice with interesting features.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Lakes Canyon out of Lundy Lake is non-quota'd and a very nice place (been there three times). Otherwise all of the best non-quota'd options are north or Carson Pass.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.