TR: Chain Lakes in Emigrant Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nighthawk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Chain Lakes in Emigrant Wilderness

Post by Nighthawk »

We went backpacking last weekend (Aug 8-10) with our two kids (6 and 1 year old) to the Chain Lakes in the Emigrant Wilderness. We started from Box Springs trailhead and had an easy hike to the southern Chain Lake. The trail becomes a little indistinct at the end and we lost it a few times. We were hiking in the late afternoon and early evening and still only a few places along the trail had mosquitoes - none where we camped. Still some wildflowers here and there. There were two cars and a few people at the trailhead, but we didn't see anyone on the trail all weekend and only saw one other campsite which was at the first lake. I'd intended for us to hike down to the West Fork of the Cherry Creek, but due to a slow start, guessing the way incorrectly a few times, and a reluctance of the oldest kid until he saw the canyon, we didn't make it down but we did get a nice view. On the way back we encountered a tree with a couple of claw marks on an old cottonwood, some very fresh, some from past seasons. I suspect it's bear, but I suppose it could also be a cat of some kind. No sign of scat, but the area was pretty thick with growth. Does anyone know? Leaving on Monday, the camp we saw Sat was gone and ours was the only car at the trailhead. There were looming clouds and thunder every afternoon, but we only got sprinkles of rain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Chain Lakes in Emigrant Wilderness

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the trip report and photos. I love the lily pad pond and your children exploring and enjoying the lake. Nice that you had solitude and only saw the one camp at the first lake. The claw marks are most likely a bear. It's fun to see that. I looked for old human carvings on cottonwoods I passed when I hiked the west fork of Cherry Creek a couple of weeks ago, but didn't see any. It is a beautiful area.
ostrich
Topix Newbie

Post by ostrich »

Thanks for sharing! I've had this trip on my short list of quick overnighters; will definitely make sure i do it after seeing your photos!
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

Awesome! You guys beat me and my 5 year old by a week. We just got back a few hours ago from 3 days up there with my brother and sister-in-law. You guys also made it a bit further than we did. We were hoping to see the canyon, but about a quarter of the way there from camp got stymied by the heat. I'm stoked for you guys that you made it out that far, in spite of the slow start. I also love that you guys brought the little one. I wasn't quite so bold. My 1 year old stayed home with mama. How did you get yours and all your gear out there?