Corral Mountain 9-11 August 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corral Mountain 9-11 August 2020

Post by rlown »

sekihiker wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:33 pm
We were not in SeKi.
The front of our wilderness permit had elevational fire closure above 10,000 ft and listed a number of areas in Sierra National forest where fires were not permitted. The area where we stayed was not among those on the list.
OK.. try this link. https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/sierra/home

Let's see, it is 105ish in the valley and 90 plus in the foothills. Do you really want to be "that guy?"

I would just call the FS and check before you go.. I always do..
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

ironmike wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:52 pm I think your permit was in error. There are special fire restrictions across all parks, Forest and wilderness areas in and around the Sierra this year due to a Stage 2 alert. The Forest Order is accessible from the Sierra National Forest website (amongst others). Not calling you out per se, but want others to know this is a NO FIRE year unless you’re in a designated campground or recreation area that is on a “list”.
Good to know. Thank you.
donutnational
Topix Novice

Post by donutnational »

This from the forest order posted on the SNF website:
Forest Order No. 05-15-00-20-06
Sierra National Forest
COVID-19 Fire Restriction
Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50(a), and to protect natural resources and provide for
public safety, the following acts are prohibited on the Sierra National Forest. This Order is
effective from June 4, 2020, through November 30, 2020.
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, except in
open Developed Recreation Sites and Wilderness Areas.
36 CFR 261.52(a).
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or while stopped in an area
at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
36 CFR 261.52(d).
So it is ok to have a fire in SNF wilderness.
I was with my sister in the area thursday specifically to see Lewisia Leeana which she found near Sportsmen and Chinquapin Lakes. She also got excited over Gentian which we first saw at Lower Nelson Lake. Thanks for the report, it's probably a rare week in which two parties go looking for Lewisia leeana.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

donutnational wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pm I was with my sister in the area thursday specifically to see Lewisia Leeana which she found near Sportsmen and Chinquapin Lakes. She also got excited over Gentian which we first saw at Lower Nelson Lake. Thanks for the report, it's probably a rare week in which two parties go looking for Lewisia leeana.
donutnational -
Interesting that someone else is looking for Lewisia leeana in eastern Fresno County. It's been a project of mine since 2013 and I have more than 600 observations. I've visited all the areas where it has been reported in various databases. My observation locations can be seen at: https://tinyurl.com/yyub6clv
If you know of any observations in the Sierra not near any of those on the map, I'd really appreciate the location.
Thanks -
Bill aka sekihiker